Monday, January 4, 2010

Come Monday...The Wrestler

“Come Monday…” is a weekly series that will involve a review of, or commentary about, websites, movies, documentaries, television shows, sports, music, and whatever else may tickle my fancy at the time. Be assured that these reviews will be generally positive, as in accordance to the Jimmy Buffett song “Come Monday.” This is subject to change, however. In fact, I would be most derelict in my duties to neglect going on a rant every once in a while. For rants promote change, and change can be good—right? Therefore, since good is generally considered as being a positive force in 99.3% of the parallel universes that I am aware of, even a rant could be considered as being something positive, and a genuine hissy-fit would be even better (so I’m told).

A few weeks ago, I watched [The Wrestler], starring [Mickey Rourke], [Marisa Tomei] and [Evan Rachel Wood], when it was being broadcast on [HBO]. Be assured that it was not all that pleasant of an experience for me. For it quickly became all too painfully apparent that I am (by nature) The Wrestler.

No, this is not to say that I was once a professional wrestler, nor anyone who has reached the heights of fame and fortune that Randy “The Ram” Robinson reached. For I have had a few moments in the proverbial sun, but for the most part, I have spent my life sulking in the shadows of obscurity.

Subsequently, I have never been offered the affections of an adoring groupie, which was illustrated in the movie. Although, I was once offered to find out what it was like to be with a lady in her late twenties, who had became a virgin all over again, but I don’t think that counts.

I suppose it doesn’t matter, anyway. For that offer came after our Heavenly Father had begun to change me, and I politely turned her down. Much to my chagrin, that is something that I regret at times.

Hence, an indication of what I mean when I could see myself in The Wrestler. For he was sweet and gentle, while being absolutely pathetic to the very core of his being.

No, this is not to say that you might not truly enjoy this movie. For Marisa Tomei showed…um…”stuff” that I have naturally wanted to see since [My Cousin Vinny], and the behind-the-scenes insights into the world of professional wrestling entertainment were indeed quite intriguing.

It was, however, the part about him falling in love with an exotic dancer, who had sworn to never let anyone break her heart again, that reminded me of just how pathetic I have been in the past, and his attempts to reconnect with the daughter he had abandoned many years before tore my own heart all asunder.

No, it did not really matter that the troubles I have faced with my own estranged children were not the result of my abandonment of them. For they have been led to believe that I have never really cared about them, and all of my own attempts to reconnect have been rejected. So, when his daughter told him that not only did she not want to ever see him again, but that she also never wanted to even hear mention of his name, I wept like baby.

I will not play the spoiler for those who have not seen it yet by revealing the way the movie ends, but it is also much to my chagrin that I have often naturally wanted my own screen to just turn to black. The lyrics to the theme song tell why. Nonetheless, let His will be done—not mine.


Link: [On YouTube]

The Wrestler
Bruce Springsteen

Have you ever seen a one-trick pony
In the field so happy and free
If you’ve ever seen a one-trick pony
Then you’ve seen me
Have you ever seen a one-legged dog
Makin’ his way down the street
If you’ve ever seen a one-legged dog
Then you’ve seen me

Then you’ve seen me
I come and stand at every door
Then you’ve seen me
I always leave with less than I had before
Then you’ve seen me
Bet I can make you smile
When the blood it hits the floor
Tell me friend
Can you ask for anything more
Tell me
Can you ask for anything more

Have you ever seen a scarecrow
Filled with nothing but dust and weeds
If you’ve ever seen that scarecrow
Then you’ve seen me
Have you ever seen a one-armed man
Punchin’ at nothin’ but the breeze
If you’ve ever seen a one-armed man
Then you’ve seen me

Then you’ve seen me
I come and stand at every door
Then you’ve seen me
I always leave with less than I had before
Then you’ve seen me
Bet I can make you smile
When the blood it hits the floor
Tell me friend
Can you ask for anything more
Tell me
Can you ask for anything more

These things that have comforted me
I drive away
Anything more
This place that is my home
I cannot stay
Anything more
My only faith
Is in the broken bones and bruises
I display

Have you ever seen a one-legged man
Tryin’ to dance his way free
If you’ve ever seen a one-legged man
Then you’ve seen me

Link: [Bruce Springsteen]

Lyrics From: [SpringsteenLyrics.com]

Please Also Visit: [FishHawk Droppings]

4 comments:

  1. No, not actually. Well, I suppose I have been--as in regards to wrestling with my own faults and failures, but in regards to the actual sport(?), I have never entered the ring. Thanks for stopping again, my dear Adullamite!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this was a good movie....worth Oscar's......to bad the lead actor didn't win....loved Marisa Tomei i don't remember her name exactly.....but she was good.....tooo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by again, my dear Hitesh!!! Yeah, despite how hard it was on me personally, it was a great movie, and I can't believe that Mickey Rourke didn't win the Oscar. He did, however, get the Golden Globe (I think). Marisa was also very believable in her role as the stripper, and she does indeed have something to show! Though, I didn't like the piercings. I hope they weren't real.

    ReplyDelete

Since the Blogger spam filter has been found sorely lacking lately, I will start moderating comments. Be assured that I am only interested in deleting spam. So, if you feel a need to take me to task over something—even anonymously, go ahead and let 'er rip, and I will publish it as soon as I can.