Monday, May 7, 2012

Come Monday...Singin' The Blues


“Come Monday…” is a weekly series that will involve a review of, or commentary about,  websites, movies, documentaries, television shows, sports, music, and whatever else may tickle my fancy at the time.  Be assured that these reviews will be generally positive, as in accordance to the Jimmy Buffett song “Come Monday.”  This is subject to change, however.  In fact, I would be most derelict in my duties to neglect going on a rant every once in a while.  For rants promote change, and change can be good—right?  Therefore, since good is generally considered as being a positive force in 99.3% of the parallel universes that I am aware of, even a rant could be considered as being something positive, and a genuine hissy-fit would be even better (so I’m told).

I suppose I am really not all that much of a hockey fan—certainly not in comparison to my football fanaticism.  For I still have no idea what constitutes icing, nor being offside.

On the other hand, when I am given a choice between watching baseball or hockey on television, I will usually pick hockey, and after actually playing baseball, I think I am fairly well versed on the rules.  Whereas, the closest I have ever come to playing hockey was going roller skating a few times in my distant youth, and I still have nightmares about how much fun I had hitting the floor immediately after each step I tried to take.

My [St. Louis Blues] have given me another thing to have nightmares about.  For after having an incredible regular season, and crushing the [San Jose Sharks], 4 games to 1, in the first round of the [Stanley Cup playoffs], they quite simply, didn’t show up for the second round against the [Los Angeles Kings].

Of course, with me not really being all that much of hockey fan, I probably don’t know what I am talking about, but I did pick up on a few hints that might indicate that I am not all that far away from the truth.  For in the regular season, the St. Louis goalies combined to win the [2012 Jennings Trophy], and Brian Elliott [set the record] for the lowest goals-against-average in the modern era at 1.56.  Whereas, the Kings scored 13 goals against him in this playoff series, which works out to be an average of around 3.25 (I think).

No, it was not all Elliott’s fault.  For even I could see that the Blues would have had a difficult time scoring a goal against the Kings yesterday afternoon, and I am talking about with there being no Kings on the ice at the time.

Yesterday’s was the only game of the series that I had an opportunity to watch, but I have a sneaking suspicion that the previous three were no different.  Maybe next year (again).

Please Also Visit:
and

4 comments:

  1. I fail to comprehend. Surely skates would not work on grass, so what has this to do with hockey? That's a girls game anyway. Baseball? You means 'Rounders,' the game the kids play? I really never saw you as the athletic type.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by again, my dear Adullamite!!! Alas, most do not see me as I see myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know anything about hockey other than it's played on ice by a bunch of guys with no teeth :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by again, my dear Ann!!! Yeah, I think that is required in order to protect the referees from getting bit when they go to break up the fights.

    ReplyDelete

Since the Blogger spam filter has been found sorely lacking lately, I will start moderating comments. Be assured that I am only interested in deleting spam. So, if you feel a need to take me to task over something—even anonymously, go ahead and let 'er rip, and I will publish it as soon as I can.