Thursday, October 6, 2011

Willie and Merle



Pancho and Lefty
Willie Nelson & Merle Haggard
Livin’ on the road my friend
Was gonna keep you free and clean
Now you wear your skin like iron
And your breath’s as hard as kerosene
You weren’t your mama’s only boy
But her favorite one it seems
She began to cry when you said goodbye
And sank into your dreams

Pancho was a bandit boys
His horse was fast as polished steel
He wore his gun outside his pants
For all the honest world to feel
Pancho met his match you know
On the deserts down in Mexico
Nobody heard his dyin’ words
Oh that’s the way it goes

All the Federales say
They could have had him any day
They only let him slip away
Out of kindness I suppose

Lefty
He can’t sing the blues
All night long like he used to
The dust that Pancho bit down south
Ended up in Lefty’s mouth
The day they laid poor Pancho low
Lefty split for Ohio
Where he got the bread to go
There ain’t nobody knows

All the Federales say
They could have had him any day
They only let him slip away
Out of kindness I suppose

The poets tell how Pancho fell
And Lefty’s livin’ in a cheap hotel
The desert’s quiet and Cleveland’s cold
So the story ends we’re told
Pancho needs your prayers it’s true
But save a few for Lefty too
He only did what he had to do
And now he’s growin’ old

All the Federales say
They could have had him any day
They only let him go so long
Our of kindness I suppose

A few gray Federales say
They could have had him any day
They only let him go so long
Out of kindness I suppose

Lyrics From: [Sing365.com]

Please Also Visit:
and

12 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by again, my dear Adullamite!!! THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST SONGS EVER RECORDED!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Willie and Merle - one of the best combos. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by again, my dear Fisher!!! I am really glad you enjoyed this. It is one of my all-time favorite songs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Read the lyrics and can't remember if I've ever heard this song before or not.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely LOVE country music and I love old Willie!

    sandie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for stopping by again, my dear Ann!!! I do believe that you will be very glad to have listened to this song (again?) after you are able to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for stopping by again, my dear Sandie!!! It really doesn't get much better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for stopping by again, my dear Adullamite!!! Oh my, I had no idea that haggis withdrawal could be so severe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fish, you might like this podcast on a song by Willie/Merle:

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for stopping by again, my dear Lavender!!! Yes, that was indeed very interesting, and I have added "Moore to the Point" to the list for a future Sites To See. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Since the Blogger spam filter has been found sorely lacking lately, I will start moderating comments. Be assured that I am only interested in deleting spam. So, if you feel a need to take me to task over something—even anonymously, go ahead and let 'er rip, and I will publish it as soon as I can.