Monday, October 10, 2011

Come Monday...Prime Suspect


Come Monday…” is a weekly series that will involve a review of, or commentary about,  websites, movies, documentaries, television shows, sports, music, and whatever else may tickle my fancy at the time.  Be assured that these reviews will be generally positive, as in accordance to the Jimmy Buffett song “Come Monday.”  This is subject to change, however.  In fact, I would be most derelict in my duties to neglect going on a rant every once in a while.  For rants promote change, and change can be good—right?  Therefore, since good is generally considered as being a positive force in 99.3% of the parallel universes that I am aware of, even a rant could be considered as being something positive, and a genuine hissy-fit would be even better (so I’m told).

[PrimeSuspect] is a new show on [NBC] this fall season.  It usually airs on Thursday nights, but it looks like a repeat of the previous Thursday night episode will be also airing on Monday nights.

To be honest about it, I don’t know why.  In fact, I don’t know how such a suspect show made it into NBC’s primetime lineup at all.  That is, unless someone made some crack about NBC being the pro-police network at some after-hours party filled with hard-core Aquarian New-Agers.  For it is about as anti-police as the [Law & Order] series were/are pro-police.

It stars [Maria Bello] as [Det. Jane Timoney], who is perfect for the part.  For she seems to naturally exude hostility from every pore of her rather beautiful body, and in this role, she has a personality that should make even the most serious New Yorker shake their head in dismay.

Perhaps you may remember her from her roles as the saloon owner in [Coyote Ugly], or as Tom Stall’s wife in [A History of Violence].  Well, she was as sweet and understanding as one can be in those roles in comparison to who she is portraying in Prime Suspect.

Yes, she is made to look more sympathetic by being surrounded by an all-boys club detective squad, but all this did for me is make the New York City Police Department depicted in this show look like a bunch of idiots, who spent most of the three episodes that I have seen so far sabotaging each other’s efforts before finally managing to solve the crime before the end-credits roll.

No, I don’t think I will be tuning in again, but the show does have some potential to get better.  After all, I don’t see how it could get much worse.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot.  There is one bright spot to the show.  For Jane’s father is being played by [Peter Gerety], who I loved as a rather ornery judge on [The Wire].


Please Also Visit:
and

8 comments:

  1. We watched about 3/4 of one episode and found it a thoroughly unattractive show. Don't know who this woman is but I certainly have no interest in watching her or her character. Total waste of time. It's an ugly show in every way.

    This was supposed to be based, however loosely on the British show "Prime Suspect" with the brilliant Helen Mirren . If you get a chance to see those please take the opportunity. You won't be disappointed but you should watch them in chronological order because while each "case" stands alone it is the character development of Jane Tennison that holds you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Helen Mirren made her name by acting as a policewoman. The script called for the policemen to say 'She's just a woman,' while she solved the case. This pandering to dumb women made the programme a hit, and this mediocre actor, who is constantly self publicising, into a 'star.' Drivel sells if you make it appeal to peoples prejudice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw a preview for this show and thought it looked like it might be interesting. However after reading your review and Grace's comment I'm not so sure I want to waste my time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by again, my dear Grace!!! Well, what you said certainly helps to qualify my thoughts on Maria Bello's character being a little too much for even a born and bred New Yorker to take. Of course, that is leaning towards the stereotype while I found just the opposite during my visits to NYC years ago. Perhaps I was just being overly blessed, but most of my dealings were with some of the friendliest people anywhere there--including the police force!

    I saw some clips for Helen Mirren's "Prime Suspect" when I was looking for a clip for the NBC show. Be assured that I will check it out when I can.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping by again, my dear Adullamite!!! Helen Mirren is not one of my all-time favorites, but I have generally enjoyed the parts she has played. Of course, we are on different meds...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for stopping by again, my dear Ann!!! Duke might really like the show if he is looking for something to growl at.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I started boycotting NBC ever since they cancelled "Knight Rider".

    Dude, your blogs right sidebar wraps down for literally a mile!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for stopping by again, my dear Lavender!!! Was that the first or second version of Knight Rider? The second version was certainly something to boycott!

    ReplyDelete

Since the Blogger spam filter has been found sorely lacking lately, I will start moderating comments. Be assured that I am only interested in deleting spam. So, if you feel a need to take me to task over something—even anonymously, go ahead and let 'er rip, and I will publish it as soon as I can.