Tuesday, October 25, 2011

TFT: Kris Kristofferson


Not every song that will be featured here will be what is generally considered as being “Christian” in the eyes of this world.  For some will be anguished cries from the pit of despair, and others will be quite obviously ferverent rants of rebellion.  Nonetheless, be assured that they will all be of our Heavenly Father (in one way or another) and I hope that you have been given ears to hear the message.


To Beat The Devil
Kris Kristofferson
A couple of years back, I come across a great and wasted friend of mine in the hallway of a recording studio.  And while he was reciting some poetry to me that he’d written, I saw that he was about a step away from dyin’ and I couldn’t help but wonder why.  And the lines of this song occurred to me.  I’m happy to say he’s no longer wasted and he’s got him a good woman.  And I’d like to dedicate this to John and June, who helped show me how to beat the devil.

It was winter time in Nashville
Down on music city row
And I was lookin’ for a place
To get myself out of the cold
To warm the frozen feelin’
That was eatin’ at my soul
Keep the chilly wind
Off my guitar
My thirsty wanted whisky
My hungry needed beans
But it’d been of month of paydays
Since I’d heard that eagle scream
So with a stomach full of empty
And a pocket full of dreams
I left my pride
And stepped inside a bar
Actually I guess you’d call it a tavern
Cigarette smoke to the ceiling
And sawdust on the floor
Friendly shadows
I saw that there was just one old man
Sittin’ at the bar
And in the mirror I could see him
Checkin’ me and my guitar
And he turned and said
Come up here boy
And show us what you are
I said I’m dry
He bought me a beer
He nodded at my guitar and said
It’s a tough life ain’t it
I just looked at him
He said
You ain’t makin’ any money are you
I said
You’ve been readin’ my mail
He just smiled and said
Let me see that guitar
I’ve got somethin you oughta hear
Then he laid it on me

If you waste your time a-talkin’
To the people who don’t listen
To the things that you are sayin’
Who do you think’s gonna hear
And if you should die explainin’
How the things that they complain about
Are things they could be changin’
Who do you think’s gonna care
There were other lonely singers
In a world turned deaf and blind
Who were crucified
For what they tried to show
And their voices have been scattered by
The swirlin’ winds of time
‘Cause the truth remains
That no one wants to know

Well the old man was a stranger
But I’d heard his song before
Back when failure had me locked out
On the wrong side of the door
When no one stood behind me
But my shadow on the floor
And lonesome was more
Than a state of mind
You see
The devil haunts a hungry man
If you don’t wanna join him
You got to beat him
I ain’t sayin’ I beat the devil
But I drank his beer for nothin’
Then I stole his song

And you still can hear me singin’
To the people who don’t listen
To the things that I am sayin’
Prayin’ someone’s gonna hear
And I guess I’ll die explainin’
How the thing that they complain about
Are the things they could be changin’
Hopin’ someone’s gonna care
I was born a lonely singer
And I’m bound to die the same
But I’ve got to feed
The hunger in my soul
And if I never have a nickel
I won’t ever die ashamed
‘Cause I don’t believe that
No one wants to know


This Old Road
Kris Kristofferson
Look at that old photograph
Is it really you
Smilin’ like a baby full of dreams
Smilin’ ain’t so easy now
Some are comin’ true
Nothing’s simple as it seems
But I guess you count your blessings
With the problems
That you’re dealin’ with today
Like the changin’ of the seasons

Ain’t you come a long way
Ain’t you come a long way
Ain’t you come a long way down
This old road

Lookin’ at a lookin’ glass
Runnin’ out of time
On a face you used to know
Traces of a future lost
In between the lines
One more rainbow for the road
Thinkin’ of the faces in the window
That you passed along the way
Or the last thing you believed in

Ain’t you come a long way
Ain’t you come a long way
Ain’t you come a long way down
This old road

Say you tried to chase the sundown
And you let it slip away
And the holy night is fallin’

Ain’t you come a long way
Ain’t you come a long way
Ain’t you come a long way down
This old road

Look at that old photograph
Is it really you

Lyrics From: [Sweets Lyrics]

Please Also Visit:
And

10 comments:

  1. I see what you are doing! You just play the same thing over and over and we are not supposed to notice, is that it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by again, my dear Adullamite!!! Yeah, like you notice things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stopping by to see what you are up to today. sandie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by again, my dear Sandie!!! Do they have helicopter rides at Six Flags?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I kept these songs running in the background while I read other blogs etc...Totally unmemorable...no matter how talented you are there are bound to be some less than great performances...these are two of KK's less than great efforts...

    ReplyDelete
  6. it's a laptop night but wanted to stop and say hi :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for stopping by again, my dear Grace!!! It is rather painful to listen to these songs, but it would do us all well to hear what he is singing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for stopping by again, my dear Ann!!! This would be one case where you might be better off just reading the lyrics.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kris Kristofferson was also great in the 'Tron: Legacy' film as the character Flynn, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for stopping by again, my dear Lavender!!! I most definitely consider him to be a much better actor than singer. Although, it is at song-writing where he really shines.

    ReplyDelete

Since the Blogger spam filter has been found sorely lacking lately, I will start moderating comments. Be assured that I am only interested in deleting spam. So, if you feel a need to take me to task over something—even anonymously, go ahead and let 'er rip, and I will publish it as soon as I can.