Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Costic


Unless you have been living under a really big rock near [Alice Springs] the past couple of years or so, much has been made about [Bill Cosby] possibly drugging some young ladies for sex years ago.  To be quite honest about it, my wife and I did not want to believe it.  Oh, we really felt for the women now coming forward to accuse him, but he is…after all…[Dr. Cliff Huxtable]!

No, neither one of us wanted to believe that such a delightful man could ever stoop so low as to drug young ladies so that he could have sex with them.  Besides, he was one of the most influential entertainers in the business at the time.  So, he shouldn’t have had to drug anyone to get his freak on without his wife around.  Yeah, but forbidden fruit looks even more appealing when it appears to be completely out of reach.


Alas, there are a number of things about Whoopi’s opinion that troubles me greatly.  First of all, everyone in their right-mind knows that there are several degrees of right and wrong.  The highest is what our Creator actually says is absolutely right or wrong.  There is also what a religious authority says is right or wrong.  Then there is what our manmade laws define as legal or illegal, and then there is what we naturally consider to be moral or immoral, which is generally influenced by the other three degrees.

So, what Whoopi said could be argued as being right—despite her acknowledgement of Cosby actually admitting in a sworn deposition to giving [quaaludes] to young women so that he could have sex with them.  For he has never been convicted of molesting any women.  Therefore, he is indeed considered innocent in the eyes of the law in this country, but her adding that she did not care what anyone else thought about her opinion tore me up.

Many in the audience clapping wildly in support of Whoopi’s attitude made it even worse.  Although, I must admit to there being a time when I also applauded such statements, but that was back when I rarely drew a completely sober breath, too.

No, I am not suggesting that one would do well to keep their opinions to themselves when it goes against the grain.  For there are times when something needs to be said that others will not like, but everyone should always greatly care about what others think.

Please, let us take our Creator for the highest example possible.  For He does not owe anyone an explanation for anything, but He has shown (as well as does and will show) great concern for what we think about Himself and the righteousness of all of His most awesome ways, with the giving of His Holy Scriptures being clear evidence of this to those who do not want to believe that He still actually speaks to us individually.

Of course, far too many (in my opinion) claiming to speak for Him messing everything up is another matter.  Hence, something else for us to give Him the full benefit of our considerable doubts about.

Please Also Visit:

18 comments:

  1. Claims and counter claims.
    I trust neither the women selling their stories for money or 'friends' defending their friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, my dear Adullamite!!! The thing is that he actually admitted to it in a sworn deposition. I don't know why he would, but he did after swearing up and down that he did not for years.

      Delete
  2. Ha! Now in Darwin, the Top End!
    Have heard about Bill, a funny man and his women....do not know why they wait for so long to say anything. I understand that in your country a person can't be tried for allegedly raping someone X amount of years after the alleged act supposedly happened....I presume that's correct!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, my dear Whiteangel!!! Yes, the statute of limitations has long since past. So, he can no longer be formally charged with a crime. It is my understanding that some of the girls did try to say something at the time, but they were were very young while he was one of the most beloved entertainers in the world. Most of his victims were too ashamed of what happened and blamed themselves to come forward until others did years later. As I said in the article, we did not want to believe it, but there is no legitimate defense of his actions now.

      Delete
  3. First off, Jerry...I have to correct you...Alice Springs is in the Northern Territory, not South Australia. :)

    I think Crosby is a grub. Some of the women did speak out, but no one listened. Who would believe them against Crosby? He was all powerful. He should be locked up in the same cell as Rolf Harris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, my dear Lee!!! I stand corrected on the Alice Springs location, and you are correct about the Cosby situation(s).

      Delete
  4. This whole situation is quite sad, and we'll never know the absolute truth I'm sure from all sides inflicted. I know my response is I still regardless of his own private affairs I still believe he's an excellent, dedicated actor, especially his interaction with children, and the many wonderful and humorous conversations he's offered through the years, besides his acting. Although now of course after all that has happened, in the back of my mind as well as the mind of others will be this dark matter that unfortunately will always come to mind. On another note, one thing that does bother me, is when a person of celebrity and/or financially well off, is sought after for financial gain, as if receiving a large lump of money could ever replace or better such a tragic event in someone's life. A rape victim that gets big money for having been raped or abused is still damaged and no money can fix that. In my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, my dear Karen!!! I hear what you are saying, and the truth may very well be that only a few of the over 40 women come forward were actually raped. As far as I know, none of them have received any payoff money, nor have even sought it. As you said, though, the money doesn't really matter.

      Delete
  5. I apparently live under a really big rock because this is the first I've heard of this. I suppose I could form an opinion one way or the other but in all honesty I don't see how that would change anything. I'll simply say that the whole situation is a shame all the way around

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, my dear Ann!!! Well said.

      Delete
  6. I grew up with Bill Cosby's comedy albums and had a hard time believing the first few accusations. But this many? Where there's smoke there's fire. It saddens me now to believe he's guilty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, my dear Stephen!!! I am right in there with you. Speaking of his comedy albums, I think it was in the 80s when I heard about one of his routines having a bit about a guy should hook up with a fat woman if they really wanted good sex on account of fat women usually being so grateful. Needless to say (I hope) that bit really caught my attention because of it being so out of character with his usual comedy bits. I do not remember actually hearing it myself, and in all fairness, whoever told me this may have mistaken a Richard Pryor routine with one of Bill Cosby's.

      Delete
  7. It's scary that people in a position of 'power' think they are entitled to a different set of rules...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, my dear Shadow!!! Quite sadly, it is a very natural thing.

      Delete
  8. Yes, inestimably sad about Bill Cosby - facing consequences for his choices. Why do we EVER think we will not face the consequences of our choices? And, yes, unfortunate that an otherwise relatively intelligent person like Whoopi Goldberg openly expresses her lack of concern about what others think. Is this not a much too common attitude these days? "Do what you want! No one has a right or reason to tell you otherwise!" But, I especially appreciate your comments near the end of your post about the Creator's example. So well expressed. He really does care what we think of Him and His Word - his instructions. So much so that our eternal disposition rests upon it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, my dear Boromax!!! Be assured that I greatly appreciate the encouragement. As He has probably already made you aware of, the point to our existence in this world as we were created to naturally be is to give us the opportunity to freely want to truly be one of our Heavenly Father's children by faith--not prove ourselves worthy of His favor. For it is not our Heavenly Father's desire to force anyone to have to spend all of eternity with Him in His Kingdom of Heaven as an heir to all that is His in glory against their will. Oh, and all who simply do not want to be cast into the Lake of Fire, come Judgment Day, are missing the point.

      Delete
    2. Yes. Jesus himself said that on that day he will be telling some folks, "Depart from me. I never knew you." (Matthew 7:23) This to some who will be so sure of their place in the Kingdom.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for stopping by, my dear Boromax!!! Indeed. May we do what He would have us to help as many as will to not hear that.

      Delete

Since the Blogger spam filter has been found sorely lacking lately, I will start moderating comments. Be assured that I am only interested in deleting spam. So, if you feel a need to take me to task over something—even anonymously, go ahead and let 'er rip, and I will publish it as soon as I can.