Thursday, July 23, 2015

ATF: Downers 2

This series will include as many of my all-time favorite (ATF) tunes as I can get my grubby little hands on (so to speak).  Now, each one included in each edition will have some connection with the other—albeit only as a figment of my imagination, but they will not be numbered.  For I just cannot bring myself to rate some higher than others.  So, this will not be a countdown, but if you are enjoying them as much as I do, it won’t matter.  Besides, with no countdown, this could go on forever and ever!  Oh, and despite the fact that there is absolutely no way your musical tastes could be as exquisite as mine, I welcome any suggestions you might dare to make.  For I am, after all, quite magnanimous by nature.



Sundown
Gordon Lightfoot
I can see her lyin' back in her satin dress
In a room where you do what you don't confess
Sundown you better take care
If I find you’ve been creepin' 'round my back stairs
Sundown you better take care
If I find you’ve been creepin' 'round my back stairs

She’s been lookin' like a Queen in a sailor's dream
And she don't always say what she really means
Sometimes I think it's a shame
When I get feelin' better when I'm feelin' no pain
Sometimes I think it's a shame
When I get feelin' better when I'm feelin' no pain

I can picture every move that a man could make
Getting’ lost in her lovin' is your first mistake
Sundown you better take care
If I find you’ve been creepin' 'round my back stairs
Sometimes I think it's a sin
When I feel like I'm winnin' when I'm losin' again

I can see her lookin' fast in her faded jeans
She's a hard lovin' woman got me feelin' mean
Sometimes I think it's a shame
When I get feelin' better when I'm feelin' no pain
Sundown you better take care
If I find you’ve been creepin' 'round my back stairs
Sundown you better take care
If I find you’ve been creepin' 'round my back stairs
Sometimes I think it's a sin
When I feel like I'm winnin' when I'm losin' again

Link: [Donovan]


Atlantis
Donovan
The continent of Atlantis was an island, which lay before the great flood in the area we now call the Atlantic Ocean.  So great an area of land that from her western shores those beautiful sailors journeyed to the South and the North Americas with ease in their ships with painted sails.  To the east, Africa was a neighbor across a short strait of sea miles.  The great Egyptian age is but a remnant of the Atlantian culture.  The Antediluvian kings colonized the world
All the Gods who play in the mythological dramas.  In all legends from all lands were from fair Atlantis.  Knowing her fate, Atlantis sent out ships to all corners of the Earth.  On board were the Twelve:
the poet, the physician, the farmer, the scientist, the magician and the other so-called Gods of our legends.  Though Gods they were, and as the elders of our time choose to remain blind.  Let us rejoice and let us sing and dance, and ring in the new.  Hail Atlantis!

Way down
Below the ocean
Where I wanna be
She may be
Way down
Below the ocean
Where I wanna be
She may be
Way down
Below the ocean
Where I wanna be
She may be

Way down
Below the ocean
Where I wanna be
She may be
Way down
Below the ocean
Where I wanna be
She may be…

***NOTE***
The lyrics below are mixed in with the chorus(?) and I did not see the point to trying to place it all as it is actually being sung.  After all, the chorus(?) is the only thing (aside from the Spoken opening) that I remember about this song.  Sorry.

My Antediluvian baby
Oh yeah yeah
Yeah yeah yeah
I wanna see you some day
My Antediluvian baby
Oh yeah yeah
Yeah yeah yeah
My Antediluvian baby
My antediluvian baby
I love you girl
Girl
I wanna see you some day
My Antediluvian baby
Oh yeah
I wanna see you some day
Oh
My Antediluvian baby
My Antediluvian baby
I wanna see you
My Antediluvian baby
Gotta tell me where she gone
I wanna see you some day
Wake up
Wake up
Wake up
Wake up
Oh yeah
Oh glub glub
Down down
Yeah
My Antediluvian baby
Oh yeah yeah yeah yeah…

Lyrics From: [eLyrics.net]

Please Also Visit:

14 comments:

  1. Ahh...I do love Gordon Lightfoot. And Donovan was great too...I loved his "Catch the Wind"...I'm not the only one who did/does. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, my dear Lee!!! I don't remember his Catch the Wind right offhand, but I will sure check it out when I can.

      Delete
  2. Gordon Lightfoot - great! - and Sundown is a classic. I hadn't heard Donovan's Atlantis before - it's OK, though isn't that spoken intro pretentious! Ouch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, my dear Mike!!! Yeah, after studying up on some of the Atlantis New Age "stuff" out there, it sounds very familiar.

      Delete
  3. Good heavens, I forgot all about Gordon....he does sing Sundown so well...love the Minor Keys and chords...I downloaded this song this evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, my dear Whiteangel!!! Back when I was trying to learn how to play a guitar well, I got a hold of some Gordon Lightfoot sheet music. Alas, he evidently doesn't believe in playing a simple C or even a G chord, and I would have needed to add at least three fingers to my left hand to be able play the chords he generally uses.

      Delete
  4. I'm a fan of both of these artists and had both of these songs on vinyl, once upon a turntable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, my dear Stephen!!! When daydreaming of the component stereo system I wanted to have way back when, it was a toss-up between a Marantz or a Technics. None of it ever happened. Sigh.

      Delete
  5. When I read Gordon Lightfoot my first thought was the "the wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, my dear Ann!!! It is scheduled to be included in this series later on.

      Delete
  6. Oh, songs from our young married years! So familiar, so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, my dear Susan!!! My first trip to the altar did not happen until '77. It was my hope to be the only one, but Sam ran me off seven years later.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, my dear TWG!!! It is about as good as country-rock can get.

      Delete

Since the Blogger spam filter has been found sorely lacking lately, I will start moderating comments. Be assured that I am only interested in deleting spam. So, if you feel a need to take me to task over something—even anonymously, go ahead and let 'er rip, and I will publish it as soon as I can.