Thursday, November 20, 2014

ATF: Soap Operatic

This weekly series will include as many of my all-time favorite (ATF) tunes as I can get my grubby little hands on (so to speak).  Now, each one included in each edition will have some connection with the other—albeit only as a figment of my imagination, but they will not be numbered.  For I just cannot bring myself to rate some higher than others.  So, this will not be a countdown, but if you are enjoying them as much as I do, it won’t matter.  Besides, with no countdown, this could go on forever and ever!  Oh, and despite the fact that there is absolutely no way your musical tastes could be as exquisite as mine, I welcome any suggestions you might dare to make.  For I am, after all, quite magnanimous by nature.



If You Could Read My Mind
Gordon Lightfoot
If you could read my mind love
What a tale my thoughts could tell
Just like an old-time movie
About a ghost from a wishin' well
In a castle dark
Or a fortress strong
With chains upon my feet
You know that ghost is me
And I will never be set free
As long as I'm a ghost
That you can see

If I could read your mind love
What a tale your thoughts could tell
Just like a paperback novel
The kind the drugstore sells
When you reach the part
Where the heartaches come
The hero would be me
Heroes often fail
And you won't read that book again
Because the ending’s
Just too hard to take

I'd walk away
Like a movie star
Who gets burned in a three-way script
Enter
Number two
A movie queen
To play the scene
Of bringin’ all the good things
Out in me
But for now love
Let's be real
I never thought I could act this way
And I've got to say
That I just don't get it
I don't know
Where we went wrong
But the feeling’s gone
And I just can't get it back

If you could read my mind love
What a tale my thoughts could tell
Just like an old-time movie
About a ghost from a wishin’ well
In a castle dark
Or a fortress strong
With chains upon my feet
The story always ends
If you read between the lines
You'll know that I'm
Just tryin’ to understand
The feelin’ that you left

I never thought I could feel this way
And I've got to say
That I just don't get it
I don't know
Where we went wrong
But the feeling’s gone
And I just can't get it back



Raindrops Keep Fallin’ On My Head
BJ Thomas
Raindrops keep fallin' on my head
And just like the guy whose feet
Are too big for his bed
Nothin' seems to fit
Those
Raindrops are fallin' on my head
They keep fallin'
So I just did me some talkin' to the sun
And I said I didn't like the way
He got things done
Sleepin' on the job
Those
Raindrops are fallin' on my head
They keep fallin'

But there's one thing
I know
The blues they send to meet me
Won't defeat me
It won't be long
Til’ happiness
Steps up to greet me

Raindrops keep fallin' on my head
But that doesn't mean my eyes
Will soon be turnin' red
Crying's not for me
'Cause
I'm never gonna stop the rain by complainin'
Because I'm free
Nothin's worryin' me

It won't be long
Til’ happiness
Steps up to greet me

Raindrops keep fallin' on my head
But that doesn't mean my eyes
Will soon be turnin' red
Crying's not for me
'Cause
I'm never gonna stop the rain by complainin'
Because I'm free
Nothing's worryin'
Me

Lyrics From: [eLyrics.net]

Please Also Visit:

16 comments:

  1. Lovely ear food! If I could ever read your mind, it would be pointless to read your posts! Imagine all the oldie goodies I'd miss too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, my dear Karen!!! Spending time in my head would be extremely hazardous to your mental health, and I would not recommend it.

      Delete
  2. When I was young, both of these artists were at the top of the musical heap. I still enjoy listening to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, my dear Stephen!!! Be assured that several of Gordon's and at least one more from BJ are scheduled to be included later on.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, my dear Adullamite!!! Hey, Lightfoot is a devout Canadian. Are you completely against them, too?

      Delete
  4. These songs take me back to high school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, my dear Silver Fox!!! Can I go back, too?

      Oh, and if you are curious about "Soap Operatic," the first time I remember hearing both of these songs was when they were coming over a radio in a soap opera scene way back when. I do not remember on which soap it was, however. Neither do I remember what circumstances led to me hearing them on one of "those" shows.

      Yeah, AsTheCrackerheadCrumbles is a play off of As The World Turns. Don't make too much about it. (LOL?)

      Delete
  5. Love that Gordon Lightfoot song. The BJ Thomas song I remember it being one that we sang in 7th grade chorus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, my dear Ann!!! Did you-all make your audiences howl with delight?

      Delete
    2. My favorite song is "What A Difference You Made In My Life" for those pensive moments. I painted a flat stone with acrylic paint to go in my sidewalk garden so every one walking by gets a daily reminder...."FLOWERS ARE GOD SMILING".

      Delete
    3. Thanks for stopping by, my dear Kathy!!! Yeah, at least one of Ronnie Milsap's will be included in this series later on (unless our Heavenly Father has other plans, of course). That was a great thing to add to your sidewalk garden.

      Delete
  6. Dear Jerry, Such great classics that bring back real good memories. I was a fan of both and still know every word. Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, my dear Catherine!!! I am really glad you enjoyed these. Be assured that I greatly appreciate the very honorable mentions you have been giving me in comments.

      Delete
  7. Wow, thanks so much for sharing these, Jerry, I have some wonderful memories here. I have always loved B.J. Thomas' songs ever since I can remember. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, my dear Linda!!! I plan on hookin' another BJ Thomas song up with one of Mac Davis' later on. That is, unless our Heavenly Father has other plans, of course.

      Delete

Since the Blogger spam filter has been found sorely lacking lately, I will start moderating comments. Be assured that I am only interested in deleting spam. So, if you feel a need to take me to task over something—even anonymously, go ahead and let 'er rip, and I will publish it as soon as I can.