Monday, April 9, 2012

Come Monday...Storage Wars


“Come Monday…” is a weekly series that will involve a review of, or commentary about,  websites, movies, documentaries, television shows, sports, music, and whatever else may tickle my fancy at the time.  Be assured that these reviews will be generally positive, as in accordance to the Jimmy Buffett song “Come Monday.”  This is subject to change, however.  In fact, I would be most derelict in my duties to neglect going on a rant every once in a while.  For rants promote change, and change can be good—right?  Therefore, since good is generally considered as being a positive force in 99.3% of the parallel universes that I am aware of, even a rant could be considered as being something positive, and a genuine hissy-fit would be even better (so I’m told).


My wife has a new obsession.  Okay, I may have caught a couple of episodes out of the corner of my eye, but I didn’t inhale.

This new obsession is called Storage Wars.  It comes in two varieties, with the main one being set mostly in [California], and the other in [Texas].

Both are highly addictive (I am told).  For the shows follow a group of buyers, who bid on the contents of abandoned storage lockers.

No, there is nothing addictive about the buyers.  Although, I think my wife may have a thing for [Barry], who is pictured over there, while the couple of times I have caught the show out of the corner of my eye were when [Brandi] and [Nabila’s] assets were on prominent display.

Oh, and if you are inclined to think that I am plumb stupid, please take notice of the fact that I refrained from including pictures of them.  Although, if you follow the links, you might get an idea of what I am talking about.

Getting back to the shows, the addicting part is discovering the hidden treasures that are often found, which leads back to the 800 pound gorilla in the room.  For these lockers are being auctioned off after being legally declared abandoned, and with there being genuine treasures in many of them, some sort of tragedy has to be behind their abandonment—albeit merely forgetfulness.

Another aspect to the shows that we my wife doesn’t care for is buyers bidding up their competitors just for the sake of meanness.  For it would be different when two or more really want a unit, but it is not entertaining to us her when one is just bidding to make another pay more.

No, there is not a doubt in my mind that buyers are encouraged to bid one another up for the sake of ratings.  Well, so much for A'n'E being a higher-classed network.


Please Also Visit:
and

8 comments:

  1. One of those rubbish filled channels here now shows this. I have avoided it as I cannot pick it up on the laptop. It sounds crap. the thing today is to force bad behaviour between contestants, so many programmes do this now, and I despise them. Just like you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing! As long as everyone knows the game, and still wants to play, they are on their own. Looks like fun to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by again, my dear Adullamite!!! Just think of what treasures might be held in storage lockers around your neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by again, my dear Fisher!!! We couldn't actually join in on the fun around here, even if we wanted to. For Missouri allows the owners of storage locker facilities to go through the contents and keep what they want after a unit becomes legally abandoned.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I watched one episode of storage wars once. I wasn't impressed with it. I think when I saw it the one couple spent way too much and it was a bunch of junk. The woman spent most of the show yelling at the guy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for stopping by again, my dear Ann!!! That was probably Brandi yelling at her husband, which happens quite a bit on the show--much to the delight of the producers, I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yup! (note: That's what the one guy is known for saying on that show)

    Joe is addicted to that show. Poor Barry rarely makes any profit, but he is fun to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for stopping by again, my dear Lin!!! Yeah, the "Yup" guy is Dave Hester, who is one of the bidders we despise. For he often bids up others just out of spite, which I hope is something that the producers of the show are encouraging in the hope of getting higher ratings instead of it being who he really is.

    Oh, and I hope Joe got to see the "Best of Barry" marathon that aired last night. Be assured that Arlynda (my wife) had them all recorded on the DVR, and I anticipate having trouble getting her to delete them after she has seen each episode at least a dozen times. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete

Since the Blogger spam filter has been found sorely lacking lately, I will start moderating comments. Be assured that I am only interested in deleting spam. So, if you feel a need to take me to task over something—even anonymously, go ahead and let 'er rip, and I will publish it as soon as I can.