Saturday, December 18, 2010

The Descent? Repost

The following is another chapter from [Bittersweet Refinements].  Since each part is connected to the rest, it would do you well to keep reading (and listening for our Heavenly Father's explanations, of course).


The Descent?

Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men.  (Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth?  He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.) [Ephesians 4:8-10 KJV]

The answer to the proposed question is a resounding yes to many.  For they have been led to believe that the Lord Jesus Christ did indeed descend into Hell during the time between His crucifixion and resurrection in order to set all of His children by faith free from shackles of death.

This is a doctrine that is based upon 1 Peter 3:18-20.  For it is written: For Christ also died for sins once for all, {the} just for {the} unjust, so that He might bring us to God, having been put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit; in which also He went and made proclamation to the spirits {now} in prison, who once were disobedient, when the patience of God kept waiting in the days of Noah, during the construction of the ark, in which a few, that is, eight persons, were brought safely through {the} water. [1 Peter 3:18-20 NAS]

Add to the mix the fact of Christ Jesus now holding the keys to Hell and death[1], and there appears be little that can be said to the contrary.  For He would have had to have gone down there and get them—right?

On the other hand, is this not to look at things from a very limited point-of-view[2]?  For if it can be accepted that the water that flowed from the rock in the desert for the children of Israel during their exodus from Egypt[3] came from the Lord Jesus Christ[4], how could it be so hard to accept that He was the One who went and made proclamation to those who are NOW in prison because of refusing to accept what He told them back then—albeit through His Holy Spirit in Noah[5]?

No, it is not the intent of what I have been given to say (nor that of my own personal desires) to unfairly demean, embarrass, nor insult anyone in any way for whatever they may have come to accept as being the truth about anything, but did He not suffer enough[6] without having to also go down into the pit of Hell[7]?  For the anguish that He subjected Himself to[8] was more than what any of us can even start to naturally comprehend—be assured[9].

Yes, it can be argued that it was surely a joy for Him to display His power over the forces of darkness[10] by taking the keys of Hell and death from Satan, but have they not always been in His hands[11]?  For it is written: For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.  Nothing in all creation is hidden from God's sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account. [Hebrews 4:12-13 NIV]

{1}Revelation 1:18; {2}1 Corinthians 2:6-16; {3}Exodus 17:1-7; {4}1 Corinthians 10:1-5; {5}2 Peter 1:20-21; {6}Ezekiel 18:4; {7}Mark 9:43-48; {8}John 10:18; {9}Luke 22:42-44; {10}John 14:30; {11}Hebrews 13:8.

Please Also Visit: [FishHawk Droppings]

8 comments:

  1. Good morning. I slept all day, sick in bed and now woke up at 1am. I am feeling better though.

    This is a complicated one today and I am not sure why Jesus descended or what His feelings were.

    I am just glad He is my Savior. I hope you have a great day Jerry. I have a lot of catching up to do, including making a post for today!
    Jackie:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by again, my dear Jackie!!! I am glad you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Jackie sent me her cold because I disagreed with her about the muppet thing. Either that or you are responsible for sending it my way. Either way my head is not clear enough to comprehend much of anything today but I had to stop by and let you know I was here :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi FishHawk! I'm stopping by to bid you a good weekend, I hope you and yours are fine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping by again, my dear Ann!!! Yes, Jackie can have quite an influence upon a person. Whether or not it is good or bad is debatable, of course. (How was that for giving a response without saying anything of any significance? I am thinking about entering politics.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for stopping by again, my dear Oyvind!!! Have you-all got dug out yet?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah thanks. :) Though it wasn't _that_ bad, I wish for more snow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, I suppose one would have to love the stuff to live in Norway. Thanks for stopping by again, my dear Oyvind!!!

    ReplyDelete

Since the Blogger spam filter has been found sorely lacking lately, I will start moderating comments. Be assured that I am only interested in deleting spam. So, if you feel a need to take me to task over something—even anonymously, go ahead and let 'er rip, and I will publish it as soon as I can.