Monday, December 13, 2010

Come Monday...I Want To Dance With Smurfs

“Come Monday…” is a weekly series that will involve a review of, or commentary about,  websites, movies, documentaries, television shows, sports, music, and whatever else may tickle my fancy at the time.  Be assured that these reviews will be generally positive, as in accordance to the Jimmy Buffett song “Come Monday.”  This is subject to change, however.  In fact, I would be most derelict in my duties to neglect going on a rant every once in a while.  For rants promote change, and change can be good—right?  Therefore, since good is generally considered as being a positive force in 99.3% of the parallel universes that I am aware of, even a rant could be considered as being something positive, and a genuine hissy-fit would be even better (so I’m told).


I must admit that I am feeling rather foolish. For after hearing of some of the comments about [Avatar], I made up my mind that I didn’t want to see it.

You see, those comments made it sound like the movie was anti-American, and I have been feeling especially ashamed of my beloved country the last several years. Okay, that actually started when our Heavenly Father started allowing and enabling me to see things more and more through His eyes back in 1993, and I certainly did not want anymore salt poured in my gaping nationalistic wounds.

Nonetheless, I felt a strong urge to go ahead and watch the movie when it became available on [HBO], and oh did I ever feel like a fool for heeding the words of a few idiots. For I quickly recognized why the movie has been so heralded by almost everyone else.

I’m telling you, the movie is well worth watching just on account of the imagery alone. For it was nothing short of spectacular on our main television, which is just a basic 36-inch digital LCD, and I cannot imagine how much better it would be on a system with all of the bells and whistles, such as a 3-D quality high definition picture and surround sound.

Furthermore, the movie is most definitely not anti-American. Granted, it could be argued otherwise. For it is certainly anti-greed, with some huge corporation serving as the bad guys, and many in other parts of the world equate greedy corporations with America.

I, for one, would still rather not—despite all evidence to the contrary. Besides, very few in the business world anywhere have clean hands. It is, after all, the nature of business to take before being taken, for the most part.

Please understand, I am not against progress. In fact, I am all for it, but some lines should not be crossed.

Was that cryptic enough for you? I really didn’t want to give too much away.

Of course, since I am probably one of the last in this world to have watched the movie, most already know all about it. It would still make a great addition to your DVD collection. So, if you haven’t already got a copy of Avatar under your Christmas tree…


Please Also Visit: [FishHawk Droppings]

14 comments:

  1. Hi FishHawk I loved Avatar and I often see it again together with our eldest. I hope I don't offend anyone now but, in my opinion its important to not mix real life and movies. I guess its type-dependent, like Avatar - I think it gives best pleasure if you don't think political. :) Hmm I'm not sure if I managed to write what I wanted..

    Btw.. I hope I haven't offended anyone in my blog, if I've been anti-american I didn't mean to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by again, my dear Oyvind!!! Be assured that you expressed yourself very well, and I generally agree with your opinion. For when I watch a movie, I want to escape from the reality that the good guys don't always win in this world, but there is a place for movies based on real life situations. In fact, I will be reviewing (of sorts) one next week here. Stay tuned!

    P.S.: As in regards to any anti-American sentiments on your blog, I can't recall anything. For there is a difference between saying what needs to be said and being a hater.

    ReplyDelete
  3. While I know all about it, neither my husband nor I have any desire to watch it. Nope, not even a tiny bit of curiosity. I did see about 5 minutes of it as I was clicking through our "800 channels - nothing to watch" - only because I felt obligated, so I could say I had seen even that little.

    BTW - love that little singing Christmas elves thingy you sent me. I had seen it before and forgotten. Gave me a good case of the giggle and I sent to some of my friends...so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been wondering about this movie too. Now I have a review rom you I will try my best to watch it over the holidays!

    Hope you're having a great day. I am late as usual!:-))))

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess I'm probably the last one in line for the movie. I haven't seen it but I've heard about it. Several people at work went to see it and said that it was very good. Maybe that would make a good Christmas gift. My son is big on movies, I wonder if he's seen it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I fell asleep during Avatar. I've become bored with "special" effects, and the entire premise of the story is simply ridiculous. What a waste of money.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I liked the movie - my family loved it. Great graphics. Sandie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for stopping by, my dear Erica!!! It is certainly a movie that I would want to watch again and again, and that is really saying something for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for stopping by again, my dear Grace!!! Yeah, all of that fancy computerized stuff can get to be a little much for you old fogies. (LOL?)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for stopping by again, my dear Jackie!!! Considering how talented you are with graphics, I think you would spend most of the movie wondering how they did this or that, and then wanting to go see if you could do it yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for stopping by again, my dear Ann!!! I would highly recommend going out and renting it before buying a copy. For it might make your son a little uncomfortable because of still being in the military and that mercenaries are employed by the evil corporation to move the natives off of where they wanted to mine by any means available, which came down to total war. On the other hand, since the mercs were totally in the wrong in a number of ways, I did not see them as a reflection of our own forces.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for stopping by again, my dear Doug!!! Yeah, the premise of a greedy corporation employing a bunch of thugs to eradicate the native population so that they could ravage a pristine area with impunity is rather far-fetched.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for stopping by again, my dear Sandie!!! I really was something to see. I can't wait until I can watch it again with Arlynda.

    ReplyDelete

Since the Blogger spam filter has been found sorely lacking lately, I will start moderating comments. Be assured that I am only interested in deleting spam. So, if you feel a need to take me to task over something—even anonymously, go ahead and let 'er rip, and I will publish it as soon as I can.