Monday, December 6, 2010

Come Monday...My Misery Would Love Some Company

“Come Monday…” is a weekly series that will involve a review of, or commentary about,  websites, movies, documentaries, television shows, sports, music, and whatever else may tickle my fancy at the time.  Be assured that these reviews will be generally positive, as in accordance to the Jimmy Buffett song “Come Monday.”  This is subject to change, however.  In fact, I would be most derelict in my duties to neglect going on a rant every once in a while.  For rants promote change, and change can be good—right?  Therefore, since good is generally considered as being a positive force in 99.3% of the parallel universes that I am aware of, even a rant could be considered as being something positive, and a genuine hissy-fit would be even better (so I’m told).



No, this is not some paid promotion for [Mediacom]. In fact, it is just the opposite of that, and I am doing it out of the wrath that my heart is now pumping through my veins.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I have been running my mouth off pretty good since I snuck in the backdoor of this cyberspace scene around four years ago about our Heavenly Father being in FULL control of ALL that happens, and that it is ALL for our ultimate good. Well, that doesn’t mean that I have to be happy about it ALL of the time. “After all, why do think it is called suffering?” Yeah, that was a quote/unquote from He Himself.

Still, I have reserved the right to not be all that happy on occasion, which He is putting up with. That is, as long as I don’t take it too far, of course, and when it comes to Mediacom, methinks this is one of those situations where we are supposed to stand up and speak out.

No, I cannot proclaim, “Thus saith the Lord,” about anything about Mediacom, but it certainly makes sense to me that something should be said. For how can a company that is headquartered in [New York City] really take care of their customers, when their closest customer is hundreds of miles away? If you have any questions, go check [this] out.

It is times like these when it is hard to defend the virtues of a capitalist society. For consumers are invariably treated like sheep for the consumption of corporate wolves, and the end of this world can’t come soon enough for me.

No, I don’t think I am being a little too dramatic. For our Internet service was down (for all intents and purposes) for another 12 hours yesterday, and this was after it was down for over 16 hours a few days earlier in the week.

Yes, I am all too painfully aware of the fact “stuff” happens, but Mediacom makes it rather hard to be understanding when there is no access to our local branch anymore. So, when someone like me (in Springfield, MO) calls to find out what is going on with my lack of service, the customer service representative in Tampa, FL (or someplace where the sun is shining, if the call is made after midnight) can only say that technicians are working as hard as they can to resolve the problem without having a clue as to what that problem may be—or if anyone is actually working on it, for that matter.

No, the local number to the Mediacom office here is Springfield no longer works. I am not sure, but I think they got rid of that right after the ice storm we had a couple of years ago.

Oh, and to add insult to injury, they air a commercial over the cable TV channels they provide about how wonderful Mediacom is in comparison to all of the alternatives every 4 minutes—24 HOURS A DAY, 7 DAYS A WEEK!!! Okay, it might not be that often, but it is A LOT!

No, we cannot just go somewhere else. For we have already tried satellite TV, and it generally sucks even worse than Mediacom.

When it comes to an alternative [ISP], [DSL] and [Wi-Fi] for our area isn’t much better than dial-up. For live in an older part of town, and all of the good things are happening down south, which is where the money is. Besides, [AT&T] was cut from the same corporate cloth as Mediacom.

So, am I just being a big baby, or do you have a horror story or two to add? I really hope you do. For my misery could sure use some company right now.

Please Also Visit: [FishHawk Droppings]

6 comments:

  1. Amen brother to this rant. I am right in there with you on this one!!

    I am forced to be on satellite because of our isolated location and it is just terrible too!!

    I can't begin to explain how frustrating it is. Only those like us, battling a very poor situation can truly understand.

    I am still on cut back here due to over usage. But, they sure never cut back on our monthly bill of $79 plus taxes.

    I am charged whether I have access or not and they do not reset me every billing period either.

    If I go over my 72% usage limit then my speed is cut way back. When I reach 82% or more I am as slow as dial up and if continue I will be completely shut down.

    I was sitting at 82% usage Saturday when I simply had to shut down my modem and hope I could gain some time back.

    I am here today but I am still slow as a snail and have no idea how long I will be able to access.

    They always cling to 'The Fair usage Policy'. That is all fine and dandy, except, if I am billed 100% of the amount every 30 days....then why is they can't reset my service back to 100% every 30 days also?

    It is very very frustrating and one thing that really makes me mad too. For me to run my blog without ever faces being shit down I must run 2 satellites.

    I did that for 3 years, one with Wildblue, my current provider and the other with Hughesnet. But, that costs us almost $200 a month and we simply can't afford it!!

    I agree with this rant more than 100%! I know the feeling!!
    Jackie:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh dear...sorry about that misprint....I meant shut...not that other word!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by again, my dear Jackie!!! Alas, are we ever going to see those in positions of power (both in government and private enterprise) want to do the right thing for the general good of all concerned? For cable access should be treated like other utilities, such as electric and phone service. In theory, it already is, but in reality...

    By the way, methinks the "Freudian Slip" with that other word was rather appropriate. I am quite sure that many others would agree, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have at&t dsl and there have been times that a real blue streak has come out of my mouth over the service,But the other guys offerings are about the same so I just stick with what I got.the cable offerings are even more costly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. my internet provider is through my phone company and I really haven't had too much trouble with it. Although now that I've said so in print that will probably change.
    The thing that gets me about these types of situations is that even though you are going without service they don't credit your account in any way for the inconvenience. They still expect full payment and on time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for stopping by again, my dear Ann!!! I saw on the news that you-all got around two feet of snow. I hope it didn't bring your Internet down. Be assured that it would have here. For just a good rain is usually enough.

    ReplyDelete

Since the Blogger spam filter has been found sorely lacking lately, I will start moderating comments. Be assured that I am only interested in deleting spam. So, if you feel a need to take me to task over something—even anonymously, go ahead and let 'er rip, and I will publish it as soon as I can.