Thursday, April 24, 2014

ATF: NoCal Dreams and Nightmares

This weekly series will include as many of my all-time favorite tunes as I can get my grubby little hands on (so to speak).  Now, each one included in each edition will have some connection with the other—albeit only as a figment of my imagination, but they will not be numbered.  For I just cannot bring myself to rate some higher than others.  So, this will not be a countdown, but if you are enjoying them as much as I do, it won’t matter.  Besides, with no countdown, this could go on forever and ever!  Oh, and despite the fact that there is absolutely no way that your musical tastes can be as exquisite as mine, I welcome any suggestions that you might dare to make.  I am, after all, quite magnanimous by nature.



Lodi
Creedence Clearwater Revival
Just about a year ago
I set out on the road
Seekin' my fame and fortune
Lookin' for a pot of gold
Things got bad
And things got worse
I guess you’ll know the tune
Oh Lord
Stuck in Lodi again

Rode in on the Greyhound
I'll be walkin' out if I go
I was just passin' through
Must be seven months or more
Ran out of time and money
Looks like they took my friends
Oh Lord
I'm stuck in Lodi again

The man from the magazine
Said I was on my way
Somewhere I lost connections
Ran out of songs to play
I came into town
A one-night stand
Looks like my plans fell through
Oh Lord
Stuck in Lodi again

If I only had a dollar
For every song I've sung
Every time I've had to play
While people sat there drunk
You know I'd catch the next train
Back to where I live
Oh Lord
Stuck in Lodi again
Oh Lord
I'm stuck in Lodi again



Folsom Prison Blues
Johnny Cash
I hear the train a-comin'
It's rollin’ round the bend
And I ain't seen the sunshine since
I don't know when
I'm stuck in Folsom Prison
And time keeps draggin' on
But that train keeps a-rollin'
On down to San Antone

When I was just a baby
My mama told me son
Always be a good boy
Don't ever play with guns
But I shot a man in Reno
Just to watch him die
When I hear that whistle blowin'
I hang my head and cry

I bet there's rich folks eatin’
In a fancy dinin’ car
They're probably drinkin' coffee
And smokin’ big cigars
Well I know I had it comin’
I know I can't be free
But those people keep a-movin'
And that's what tortures me

Well if they freed me from this prison
If that railroad train was mine
I bet I'd move it on
A little farther down the line
Far from Folsom Prison
That's where I want to stay
And I'd let that lonesome whistle
Blow my blues away

Lyrics From: [elyrics.net]

Please Also Visit:
and

12 comments:

  1. aaaah, johnny cash... can get lost in his lyrics. and his music of course :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great selection...ahh...don't stop the music!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by, my dear Shadow!!! Be assured that there will be more of his to come in this series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by, my dear Lee!!! Be assured that I greatly appreciate the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are several CCR songs that I really like but Wade can't stand them. I have to fight him whenever one of their songs come on if I want to listen to the whole thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for stopping by, my dear Ann!!! Yeah, CCR most definitely had a country/rock sound to many of their songs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Few singers were as soulful as Johnny Cash.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for stopping by, my dear TWG!!! I am really glad you enjoyed this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for stopping by, my dear Stephen!!! Indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for stopping by, my dear Adullamite!!! Whoa, another American band you like? Are you still feeling feeble-minded?

    ReplyDelete

Since the Blogger spam filter has been found sorely lacking lately, I will start moderating comments. Be assured that I am only interested in deleting spam. So, if you feel a need to take me to task over something—even anonymously, go ahead and let 'er rip, and I will publish it as soon as I can.