Monday, January 28, 2013

Come Monday...Let'em Have It

“Come Monday…” is a weekly series that will involve a review of, or commentary about,  websites, movies, documentaries, television shows, sports, music, and whatever else may tickle my fancy at the time.  Be assured that these reviews will be generally positive, as in accordance to the Jimmy Buffett song “Come Monday.”  This is subject to change, however.  In fact, I would be most derelict in my duties to neglect going on a rant every once in a while.  For rants promote change, and change can be good—right?  Therefore, since good is generally considered as being a positive force in 99.3% of the parallel universes that I am aware of, even a rant could be considered as being something positive, and a genuine hissy-fit would be even better (so I’m told).

***WARNING***
If you are still hyper-sensitive over Sandy Hook and other such tragedies, you might do well to skip this piece.  On the other hand, if you are concerned about there not being enough gun controls in place in America, you might be encouraged by what someone like myself now thinks.


If you don't recognize it, Santa is blasting away with a vintage [Thompson sub-machine gun].  Oh my, would I ever love to have one, and it troubles me greatly that it may become illegal for someone like myself to buy one.

No, I would not have any practical use for the Thompson.  For I am not physically able to take it out in the woods and see how much stuff I could put a hole or twenty in.

Just to be clear, I am talking about putting holes in trees, garbage and whatnot.  For I have never shot any living thing just for the “sport” of shooting it, and a full-auto weapon would more than likely ruin too much of the meat to use it as a hunting weapon of even something as large as a grizzly bear.

Besides, I couldn’t afford to take it out to play with—even if I was still physically able to do so.  For a quick look around the internet found .45 ACP ammo at 40 cents a round at the cheapest, and I cannot imagine me having enough discipline to fire off anything less than a thousand rounds with a weapon like that, if I had that much ammo on hand, which would amount to around $400.00 dollars per recess!

No, my wife and I do not live in an area where zombies are likely to try to get at us.  So, the use of the Thompson for home defense is a little far-fetched.

Nonetheless, a law-abiding citizen of the United States of America should be able to arm themselves as they see fit as long as they do not pose a threat to any other law-abiding citizen.  After all, do we not still live in the land of the free?

On the other hand, something needs to be done.  For there are an awful lot of people now living in this country, who are genuinely terrified of the thought of anyone other than trained law-enforcement and military personnel in the pursuit of their duties possessing a firearm of any kind, and unless the [NRA] starts acting like they really care about their concerns, I can see where it will become illegal for a private citizen to possess a firearm of any kind.

No, I do not have a problem with what I know of the [gun control measures] that President Obama is now proposing.  For I grew up when even our pump and semi-auto shotguns had to have a magazine plug in place to keep them from holding more than three rounds.  If I remember right, high-powered hunting rifles could not hold more than five rounds, and we didn’t feel threatened by anyone or anything.

Yes, “they” will want more.  For no new much-tighter restrictions on handguns are currently being addressed, but with the NRA acting like they really do want what can be lived with in peace by all parties concerned, it should make it easier to hold the line when it really needs to be held.

Alas, has not the NRA started acting more and more like far too many big-time labor unions?  For they appear to not give a rip about anything other than what they say is right, which can border on the ridiculous to a much great extent than even a gun-nut like myself is comfortable with.

Yes, if I had great concerns over America becoming an oppressive police-state much sooner than later, I might feel differently, but I don’t think so.  For fighting anything but a guerilla war against the oppressive forces, which could be waged quite nicely with actual hunting rifles and shotguns until enough weaponry could be captured, would be suicidal.  Come on now, what are even fully militarized M-16s going to accomplish against Abrams battle tanks and Pershing fighting vehicles—not to mention Apache gunships?

Regarding a related issue, be assured that more needs to be done to address mental-health issues.  Just look at what happened to Full-Auto Santa.


Please Also Visit:
and

8 comments:

  1. Um, trees are living things. And you are shooting at them.

    Stop it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by, my dear Lin!!! Be assured that I am too busy trying to dodge all of the "stuff" that Arlynda's mom keeps chunking at me to shoot at anything anymore. Yes, as a matter of fact, she is bulletproof!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, my dear Adullamite, we are yet to be completely neutered. Thanks for stopping by!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree. We are armed and intend on staying armed. There will be tons of talk, but all this talk is doing is selling more guns and ammunition. It's tough to get much ammunition at this point. We saw it coming and took care of business long, long ago.

    Have a terrific day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping by, my dear Sandee!!! I hope none of us are faced with a situation where lots of ammo is needed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In the Philippines, most households don't have guns but I think guns are a necessity nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for stopping by, my dear Rockbleeder. Be assured that there is little as dangerous as a gun in unfamiliar hands. For unless someone gets to where they can use their firearm without having to think about what to do, it becomes as much of a danger to those it is meant to protect as any intruder. So, if you decide to get one and do not already know, please become as knowledgeable of how it works as you can, which goes for anyone else in your household, as well.

    ReplyDelete

Since the Blogger spam filter has been found sorely lacking lately, I will start moderating comments. Be assured that I am only interested in deleting spam. So, if you feel a need to take me to task over something—even anonymously, go ahead and let 'er rip, and I will publish it as soon as I can.