Monday, July 16, 2012

Come Monday...Bunheads


“Come Monday…” is a weekly series that will involve a review of, or commentary about,  websites, movies, documentaries, television shows, sports, music, and whatever else may tickle my fancy at the time.  Be assured that these reviews will be generally positive, as in accordance to the Jimmy Buffett song “Come Monday.”  This is subject to change, however.  In fact, I would be most derelict in my duties to neglect going on a rant every once in a while.  For rants promote change, and change can be good—right?  Therefore, since good is generally considered as being a positive force in 99.3% of the parallel universes that I am aware of, even a rant could be considered as being something positive, and a genuine hissy-fit would be even better (so I’m told).


My wife, Arlynda, informed me that a [bunhead] is a term for a ballet dancer.  All subsequent inquiries about just how she knew this were left unanswered.

If you are wondering what may have led up to that, I saw a clip from [Bunheads] on [The Soup], and I was telling her that it looked like it might be a really clever comedy.  After watching a few actual episodes of the show, we have mixed feelings about that.

If you are not familiar with Bunheads, it is a new show on ABC Family that is currently airing new episodes at 8:00 p.m. CDT on Mondays, and it is indeed about bunheads.  Well, kinda.  For the show touches upon everything from toe-tapping on a dance floor to foot-stomping all over the feelings of others during times of great personal distress.  It is in regards to the foot-stomping part that has greatly dampened our enthusiasm for the show.

To fill in some rather significant blanks, Bunheads started out with the main character, [Michelle], who is played by [Sutton Foster], complaining (whining, actually) about how miserable her life as a Las Vegas showgirl has turned out to be.  This goes on for a while, and then we are introduced to her alleged stalker.  As it turns out, he is actually just a really nice guy who has fallen madly in love with her from afar, but since she cannot imagine how anyone could really be in love with her on account of how much she hates herself, it is assumed that he has to be a stalker.

When he shows up being as nice to her as usual while she is in the midst of utter devastation over not being allowed to even try out for a part in a new theatrical production, she finally agrees to go out to dinner with him.  The next thing we are shown is that her stalker has become her husband, and that they are on their way to his hometown in Paradise, California, which on on the coast while [the real] Paradise, California is not.

It is when they make it to Paradise that the “fun” really starts, and by the end of the first episode, Michelle’s husband has died in a car accident.  Hence, our mixed feelings about the show.

Adding to the agitation in my own mind is the fact that our Heavenly Father has allowed and enabled me to understand that much of what we believe is really important in this world is of little consequence in the broad scope of things.  So, why not crack jokes during times of great personal loss?  Still, the feelings of others should always be taken into account, and there are undoubtedly quite a few out there who are of the opinion that the death of a spouse mere hours after the wedding ceremony is indeed a great tragedy—certainly no laughing matter.

No, this is not a show for everyone, and we have decided that we would rather not see any more episodes.  Although, I have set the [DVR] to record one in order to show Arlynda just how much Sutton Foster looks like [Martha Hackett].  Well, at least how much Michelle looks like [Seska] on [Star Trek Voyager].

Yes, it is indeed amazing that I could recognize the similarities.  For Seska was a [Cardassian] spy made up to look like a [Bajoran] for the purpose of infiltrating [The Marquis].  Be assured that astute facial recognition is just one of my many talents.

No, knowing so much about Star Trek characters doesn’t make me a geek, and I am rather offended by the insinuation.  For being a geek infers to being clueless about the interests of others on account of being so highly focused on what is of interest to them, which can result in a rather rude response when confronted about it, and it has been clearly established here, time and again, that what is of interest to me should be of great interest to you.  A superior intellect would have no problem with the comprehension and application of that.

Please Also Visit:
and

2 comments:

  1. I never catch new episodes of anything. I tend to stick to the repeats of my favorites

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by again, my dear Ann!!! This might not be a show that Duke should watch.

    ReplyDelete

Since the Blogger spam filter has been found sorely lacking lately, I will start moderating comments. Be assured that I am only interested in deleting spam. So, if you feel a need to take me to task over something—even anonymously, go ahead and let 'er rip, and I will publish it as soon as I can.