Saturday, September 3, 2011

Trib Updates


This is a weekly series that will include a brief summary of the latest articles that have been published on The Tribulation Times Herald-Exhorter.  Hopefully, this will encourage you to go check out some truly outstanding articles that have been published by a number of truly outstanding authors.  Moreover, I hope this will also encourage you to want to become a contributing member/author, as well.  The “Hear Ye!  Hear Ye!” site explanation near the top of the side-bar should answer many of your questions.  Yes, this series also included an “SOS! (Spam On Saturdays)”  segment before, but it just wasn’t working for me.  Therefore, that will be replaced by a republishing of one of the Trib articles.


[Ipse Dixit] is by Lavender, and it is actually rather clever.


[MTV VMA 2011] shows just how jealous Lavender is of Katy Perry’s hair-stylings.

[Something More Frightening Than Billy Joel’s “Piano Man” Image…] has Lavender quivering in his argyle socks over the return of blackface.

[IndoctriNation the Movie] contains a trailer for an upcoming movie about how public schools are leading our children down the path to ruin, along with a thumbs-up from Lavender.

[Blogger vs. WordPress] is by me about some troubles I was having earlier in the week.

[Kim Kardashian $17 Million Dollar Wedding? $17 Million????] goes to mostly prove that Lavender doesn’t know all that much about Kim, but he does make some very important points.

[Brian Regan: Two Guys on a Bus] shows that Lavender is capable of liking some things.

[Fight Breaks Out at Rye Playland Over Muslim Headscarves] contains a video of a news segment that caught Lavender’s attention.

[Ann Coulter – Liberal’s View of Darwin Unable to Evolve] is an excerpt from one of her column entries, provided by Lavender.

[I Hate the Show ‘House’] has Lavender being jealous over someone else’s success.

[The Cult of Catholicism] is actually a fairly well written article by Lavender.

[Heaven Is Real] contains three video clips from two different news shows about out-of-body experiences, along with something about my own experience with such.

[December 21, 2012] contains a copy of an article, provided by Lavender.

 

Just a few days ago, I was seriously considering going into crisis mood.  You can read all about [here].

At the end of the article, I mention that WordPress does have one big advantage over Blogger, and that is the ability to open links in a new window.  Well, I just found out how to do it on Blogger, as well.

Grace, of [Dragon’s Alley] fame and fortune came to my rescue at first.  For she found how to do it with individual links, which you can read about [here], and after being absolutely overjoyed over this, I found a way to make ALL links open in a new window automatically.

Now, I am somewhat reluctant to give this person credit.  For when I asked him for some help with this several months ago, he ignored me, and since he had already published an article about it, all he had to do was direct me to it.

Anyway, whether a jerk or not, credit should be given when due, and you read what he wrote [here].  Ironically, if you click on the links in his article, they do not open in a new window, but the code he provides works on all of my sites now.  In all fairness, Google has been making some drastic changes to Blogger, and it may very well be that he just needs to enter it again.

In order to make it a little easier on you (hopefully), a step-by-step guide is below.  Please, make sure and download a copy of your current template to your hard drive, just in case something goes wrong.  It shouldn’t, but…

Step 1: Go to your Blogger Dashboard.

Step 2: On Blogger-In-Draft, you will see an image that looks like a couple of pieces of paper, and just to the right of it, you will see an arrow for a drop-down menu.  Click on “Template” on the drop-down menu.

Step 3: Click on “Edit HTML” under “Live on Blog.” After doing so, you should see something like the following in the box under “Template > Edit HTML.”
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
<html expr:dir='data:blog.languageDirection' xmlns='http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml' xmlns:b='http://www.google.com/2005/gml/b' xmlns:data='http://www.google.com/2005/gml/data' xmlns:expr='http://www.google.com/2005/gml/expr'>
  <head>

Step 4:  What you are seeing is the first few lines of code to your template, and under <head>, paste (or manually type in) <base target='_blank' />  After doing so, your code should look like the following:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
<html expr:dir='data:blog.languageDirection' xmlns='http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml' xmlns:b='http://www.google.com/2005/gml/b' xmlns:data='http://www.google.com/2005/gml/data' xmlns:expr='http://www.google.com/2005/gml/expr'>
  <head>
  <base target='_blank'/>
Note: I don’t know if it is really necessary, but I added a couple of spaces to the front of <base target… so that it would line up with <head>.

Step 5: Click on “Save Template” at the bottom and to the right of the box.

Step 6: After the template has updated, which should only take a few seconds, click on “Close” to the left of “Save Template.”

Step 7: Open a page on your site, and marvel at what a technical genius you are after seeing your links open in a new window!  (That is, until Google decides to make some more “improvements,” of course.)

Please Also Visit:
and

7 comments:

  1. Like I told Grace when she posted about it. I have a code fobia. I'm always afraid I'm going to mess something up and wipe my blog out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by again, my dear Ann!!! Be assured that I fully understand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ann,

    I have been a programmer and I can tell you that they wipe out their work, irrevocably damage their work, lose their work, routinely, by trying to make it better; and they are professionals.

    Blogger does not allow you to have your own full backup. It have an export feature that allows you to back everything up, but there is a problem:

    It was written by programmers. It doesn't work.

    Not only does it fail to back up most of the blog most of the time, it does not notify you of the failure. Worse still, it misses whole sections by design.

    When you make edits to your blog template, you take your life in your hands. Professionals cannot consistently succeed doing this, so why should we think we can?

    When things go awry, the professionals just restore a backup and start over. The rest of us just cry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by again, my dear John!!! The way I do my articles, I write them out on a Word Document and then paste them in the Compose box so that I have a copy. Of course, I would have to redo the links if something gets lost. So far, none of my articles have gone MIA, but I seen some of my brilliantly clever comments go poof right before my very eyes.

    I also download a copy of my template before I try changing anything. Of course, if "they" are out to get me...

    ReplyDelete
  5. In Catch 22, Yassarian said: "Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not after you."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for stopping by again, my dear John!!! I have wondered where that famous phrase came from, and I have even read that book before!

    ReplyDelete

Since the Blogger spam filter has been found sorely lacking lately, I will start moderating comments. Be assured that I am only interested in deleting spam. So, if you feel a need to take me to task over something—even anonymously, go ahead and let 'er rip, and I will publish it as soon as I can.