Friday, January 15, 2016

The Dead Tree is Down

In [Another NewYear], I told about our local insurance agent informing us that we would be on our own if the dead tree in our front yard fell down and killed someone—not to mention just do some property damage.  I also told about our Heavenly Father sending a wonderful older man to cut down and haul off the tree for considerably less than what others had quoted to us.

Well, he completed the job yesterday, and I found out that I was correct to not be concerned about the tree coming down on its own.  For the trunk was still solid, but since some upper limbs had broken off and damaged our backyard fence, it was good to have it completely taken down and hauled off.

Work on replacing the roof to the main part of our house is also progressing nicely.  For it turns out that we will be probably going with [Habitat For Humanity], which will save us hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars.  We still need to be officially approved, but the lady in charge of our local branch says that we qualify.  Next comes their contractor assessing the cost of the materials, and there will not be any charge for the labor.  The underwriter for our home insurance has already approved of them doing the work, and as long as we get all of the forms signed by February 17, they will renew our insurance policy.  We originally applied for Habitat’s home repair program, but that involves them picking an outside contractor, which could not be completed in time.  Whereas, the way we are going now involves Habitat’s so-called in-house contractor, with volunteers doing the work.

The plan to go with Habitat For Humanity just came together in the last two days.  Beforehand, we were accepting estimates from local roofing companies, and this has been interesting (to say the least).  On January 4th, I called and left messages with 21 roofing companies.  10 out of the 21 actually came out and gave estimates, which ranged from $2,880 to $4,370, with the majority being around $3,500.  In all fairness to one roofing company, the owner called back after telling me that he would propose a bid to tell us that he could not bid on the job at this time because his crew had gone home to Mexico and probably would not be back until April or May.

I received the best feeling from the one with the lowest bid.  For he looked me straight in the eye while explaining what he was proposing, but with my mom always insisting that I can be plumb gullible, he may have been the biggest crook of the lot.

There were some obviously trying to get over.  One even went so far as to claim that the standard 20-year warranty on the shingles was worthless after five years without something else they could do for $400 more dollars, which would also lengthen the warranty to 30 years.

I told all who came out that we would call them with our decision, and I will be holding off on doing so until we hear back from Habitat.  Hopefully, all will be resolved in a couple of weeks, but if our Heavenly Father does as He has been doing to us…stay tuned.

Please Also Visit:

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, my dear Adullamite!!! Would it be greedy to long for a lot more?

      Delete
  2. Falling trees USED to be considered "acts of God;" I guess someone figured out a way to make more money from them. Glad it worked out for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, my dear Gorges!!! As far as I know, falling trees still are, but in our case, the tree was obviously dead. I'd like to know what killed it. For I could not see any sign of disease in the trunk, and it had not been hit by lightning.

      Delete
  3. what a relief to have everything coming together. Having both of those things taken care of will be a load off your mind

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, my dear Ann!!! Yes, but just in case we were tempted to get too happy, I received a jury duty summons in the mail. Since I still have not secured a primary care physician yet, I cannot produce a medical excuse, but I have gained back enough strength to be able to load our wheel chair so that I can appear in the court room and be dismissed by the judge.

      Delete
  4. Very enjoyable, thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, my dear Martin!!! Alas, I wish all of this "stuff" we have been having to endure really was enjoyable.

      Delete
  5. Fingers crossed that you get approved by H4H. Owning a home can be a headache can't it?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, my dear Barb!!! Yes, owning a home can be a challenge under normal circumstances, but since we have become no longer able to do even routine things, it has become a nightmare. I think we have averaged over four different people each season to mow our yard at a generous rate every two weeks.

      Delete

Since the Blogger spam filter has been found sorely lacking lately, I will start moderating comments. Be assured that I am only interested in deleting spam. So, if you feel a need to take me to task over something—even anonymously, go ahead and let 'er rip, and I will publish it as soon as I can.