Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Glenn Frey


Hearing about the physical death of someone is rather bittersweet to me these days.  For while certainly feeling for the loved ones left behind, since physical death is actually an escape from this prison of a world, I am also happy for the departed when I am allowed and enabled to.

Nonetheless, I feel a loss with the departure of [Glenn Fey].  For he may have not been all that active on the music scene lately, the possibility of him contributing to more greatness was still there.

If you are not familiar with him, he was one of the founding members of The Eagles, and you can learn a great deal about both him and the group from the [History of theEagles], which can be found on Netflix.  A review of the documentary was on the list for a future [Whatsoever Wednesday] before I changed the pace of this site, and it is because of Frey’s recent passing that I felt compelled to publish this now.

I highly recommend watching the History of the Eagles documentary.  For it goes into great detail about the dynamics behind the music while not pulling any punches on just how ugly things could get between the members behind (and sometimes in front of) the stage.

The documentary straightened me out on Joe Walsh.  For I thought he had just joined The Eagles lineup while taking a break from his solo career.  Whereas, he made it quite clear that his solo career (as well as his time with other groups, like The James Gang) was just preparing him for acceptance by Frey, Henley and the rest of The Eagles.

While taking a break from The Eagles, Frey also enjoined great success as a solo artist.  Below is my all-time favorite tune from his solo days.  It is scheduled to be matched up with one of Don Henley’s solo efforts later on in the [ATF] series here.

Oh, and another tune that Frey was a big part of and is scheduled to be included in our ATF series is Bob Seger’s Ramblin’, Gamblin’ Man.  If I remember right, Frey was just 19 when he went into the recording studio with Seger and the rest of The Silver Bullet Band on that song.



Please Also Visit:

8 comments:

  1. Certainly a great talent and a significant loss for the music world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, my dear Stephen!!! It is so good to hear from you again. I am sure glad CJ's recovery is progressing so well.

      Delete
  2. Well done thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, my dear Martin!!! Be assured that I greatly appreciate the encouragement.

      Delete
  3. I was devastated over Glenn's passing. The Eagles were a huge part of my coming into my own as a young teen. I had seen that documentary before and just loved it as it's first handed and told by the band themselves. I watched it again that very night that he passed and it certainly helped to cheer me up. He had such a distinct voice and you are right about Ramblin Gamblin Man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, my dear Barb!!! Arlynda and I consider it to be one of the best documentaries we have ever seen. We had no idea Glenn and Don had such close ties with Linda Ronstadt and Jackson Browne before watching it.

      Delete
  4. Hi Jerry,

    Thanks for the tribute and the links - hadn't seen the documentary but will as soon as possible. Yes, another great musician from 'my' era has passed on - too soon.

    Hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, my dear Rick!!! Hey, it's my era, too! (LOL?)

      Delete

Since the Blogger spam filter has been found sorely lacking lately, I will start moderating comments. Be assured that I am only interested in deleting spam. So, if you feel a need to take me to task over something—even anonymously, go ahead and let 'er rip, and I will publish it as soon as I can.