Thursday, May 14, 2009

Accoustic Songs On Without A Knife Records


If you are a fairly frequent visitor to this site, you already know that I post a lot about music of all kinds. Well, maybe not about ALL kinds if you want to get technical about it, but you sure can’t accuse me of being narrow-minded when it comes to music.

I must admit, however, that [accoustic songs] hold a special place in my heart. For there is nothing like a mighty electric axe plugged into an amp cranked up to 11 to get the blood a-boilin’, but accoustical music reasonates down to the very core of my being.

Such is what you will hear from Drew Blackard if you would pay a visit to [Without A Knife Records]. The title of the featured EP is a little long for my taste, but there is certainly nothing wrong with the music on Right About Now I’d Like To Move To Austin And Buy A Purple House.

With the adding of each instrument, the intensity builds on the title track. An accordian playing in the background blends well with the lyrics to create an overall haunting sound.

The pace picks up with the short and sweet Fallen Mockingbird. Children of the sixties should really enjoy this song. For it sounds like it could have been written back then.

Swallow My Pride has a much more modern feel to it, but not by much. For the keyboard driven melody keeps things from getting too jiggy.

I Don’t Know is pure bluegrass, and if you don’t love it, I just don’t know what to say. For Chris Blackard on the banjo, Jamie Klang on the fiddle and Fred X on the mandolin made me want to start dancin’ a jig.

I heard echoes of Simon & Garfunkel in I Have An Island, but it still holds its own as a rather unique song. Most definitely a tune to add to a mellow mood.

Yes, this is another paid review through [ReviewMe], but it has been labor of love. If you don’t believe me, please go listen for yourself.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing - I enjoy good music and will go have a listen - bluegrass, one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, my dear Mike!!! I'm sure they will appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete

Since the Blogger spam filter has been found sorely lacking lately, I will start moderating comments. Be assured that I am only interested in deleting spam. So, if you feel a need to take me to task over something—even anonymously, go ahead and let 'er rip, and I will publish it as soon as I can.