Wednesday, October 7, 2015

BitDefender Inavailable


I finally did it last Saturday (Oct. 3rd).  I made the switch from Windows 7 to Windows 10 on this computer.

Oh my, talk about having mixed emotions.  For with some Windows 7 files on this computer being corrupted preventing me from installing Laravel 4 or Ruby on Rails in order to work on developing the new site, upgrading to Windows 10 for free looked like a great blessing.  Furthermore, the new operating system would allow us to keep our current computers for a lot longer.  On the other hand, with my eyesight still not being all that good, I was filled with dread over critical buttons not being easy to find on Windows 10 while I am very familiar with where what is on Windows 7.

With it not being very easy for me to read things, I could not do as much research on Windows 10 as I would have liked to, but what I did find proved to be mostly true.  For downloading and installing Windows 10 was just like downloading and installing a software update for Windows 7, which took around 40 minutes to complete.

Much to my delight, the Windows Media Player was still there after the smoke cleared from the switch.  Much to my dismay, the Windows 10 media player will not play any of the videos or music on this computer.  It seems that one has to upload their media content to a cloud storage account in order for it to play, and this is something I really don’t want to do—even for free.

In anticipation of possibly not having the Windows Media Player with the new operating system, I had installed the [VLC Media Player] ahead of time.  It plays all of my stuff just fine with Windows 10, but I would sure like to find out how to make the controls bigger until I can see better.

It was while checking out the media players that I had my first freak-out.  For I discovered that there was no sound coming through the speakers.  A check on Google showed that I was not the only one to have had this problem, and I proceeded to follow the instructions on how to get the sound turned back on.  Next came my second freak-out.  For I managed to uninstall my sound drivers, and the way to reinstall new ones given in the online instructions was not available to me.  Thankfully, Dell had a link on their site to download new drivers for Windows 10, and after they were installed, the sound was back on.

After going through all of that, I decided to get off of the computer for the day.  I got back on the next day (now) and this is when I noticed that the green BitDefender monitor circle that usually sits on the lower right of the desktop was missing.  The main program icon for BitDefender was also missing.  After finally finding the list of installed programs, [BitDefender 2015 Total Security] could not be found.  Hence, my third and final (so far) freak-out.

BitDefender did turn-up on a search of the apps/programs on this computer, but its status was listed as INAVAILABLE.  Inavailable?  Maybe it’s a technological term.

Ironically, one of the last things I checked on before making the switch to Windows 10 was whether or not BitDefender 2015 would work, and what I found was that it most certainly would.  I must have missed where it was disclosed that a reinstall of the program might be necessary, and after doing so, all of the BitDefender monitors, icons and official listings are as they should be.

When one installs BitDefender on a Windows machine, Windows Defender and Firewall are disabled in favor of what BitDefender has to offer.  So, I suppose Microsoft thought that it was only fair for a new installation of Windows 10 to disable BitDefender’s stuff.  In all fairness, Windows Defender and Firewall might be much better than it was before, but until BitDefender starts becoming ineffective, I will be staying with what I have had for the last three years of safe surfing.

As with everything else, Windows 10 is going to take some getting used to, but it seems to be pretty good so far.  Except for BitDefender, all of the programs I had on this computer before are still there.  I am writing this on MS Word 2010, and I do not anticipate any problems with the other old programs.  Be assured that you-all will hear all about it if there is.

Speaking of such, I am trying to get back into my old publishing routine, but I may not be able to keep up.  For my eyesight is still rather blurry in comparison to how it should be, and my cataract surgeries are coming up in November, which will probably cause me to take another 2-3 weeks off.  Until then, I will struggle to churn-out  the stuff that makes life more worth living unto you-all (I am sure).

Please Also Visit:

16 comments:

  1. I've read this informative post with interest, Jerry...and I shall read it through thoroughly again, probably more than once. I've yet to change to Windows 10...but I know the time will have to come. I hate change!!!!

    Glad to have you back....take good care. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, my dear Lee!!! You can upgrade to Windows 10 for free up to July, 2016. So, unless there is a pressing reason for switching much sooner than later, later should do just fine.

      Delete
  2. I'm resisting Windows 10. I hate spending the time getting used to a new system when the old one works, but more than this I have never heard the end of Windows 8 from a relative who installed it and regrets it. I'm told Windows 10 is an effort to make that way of doing things more user friendly.
    In the end I guess I'll be dragged there kicking and screaming.
    Hope your cataract surgery goes well, Jerry. It will be wonderful to be able to see clearly again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, my dear Jenny!!! According to what I have heard and read, Microsoft got Windows 10 as right as they got 8 wrong. It has Cortana, which is supposed to respond to both spoken and written instructions. That sounds pretty cool, but the only thing I have had to do with it so far is finding out how to reduce its presence on the task bar. As I told Lee, you have until July of 2016 to upgrade for free. I think you will be happy with 10 when you do.

      Delete
  3. It's quite obvious to me that you have a better handle on this task than I would, so you probably already know about Windows built in accessibility features, such as magnification and color changes for text and background and cursor, and talking text options, etc. Also, there are keystrokes you can use in place of so much cursor action if you feel inclined to look into those. And finally, have you seen those enlarged keyboards you can get with yellow on black letters and such? Just in case you didn't already know, sometimes those things can help if your vision is compromised somehow. I read or heard somewhere that there's a new treatment for cataracts that is not surgical, but is drops put in the eyes to dissolve the cataracts. I wonder if they are really doing that yet. Howsomever, good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, my dear Penny!!! Yes, Windows magnification tool has come to my rescue several times. I have it set up on the task bar as docked so that it can be turned on and off more easily. Thankfully, my eyes have become better after getting the Avastine shots, and I am quite confident in the cataract surgeries making it to where I will not have to get the extra-large keyboard. Although, getting a back-lit one sounds interesting. I have not heard of the drops for dissolving cataracts.

      Delete
  4. Don't give up!! I've learned to like Windows 10. Have you changed the screen resolution to make things larger?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, my dear Bouncing Barb!!! Yes, I had the resolution cranked up to 150% on our 24" high-definition screen, but after the switch, I am doing just fine with 100%. It looks like Windows 10 lets one go up to 200%.

      Delete
  5. I've done the upgrade on my laptop but have yet to install it on my desktop. I suppose it's ok I haven't had any problems with it so far

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, my dear Ann!!! As was said in the article, it will just take some getting used to.

      Delete
  6. There are a few problems but mostly I find Win 10 better than 8 and mostly OK.
    On this laptop I find 'Cortana' keeps appearing and no matter what I do it will not shove off! It is part of the deal but a bad part. Cortana does not appear on the other laptop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, my dear Adullamite!!! I followed the instructions given in the link to reduce Cortana's taskbar presence to just a magnifying glass icon. I hope it works for you.

      http://www.tekrevue.com/tip/how-to-shrink-hide-windows-10-taskbar-search-box/

      Delete
  7. I'm glad the new system is working out for you in most aspects. I'm sending positive thoughts your way for that eye surgery. I know it will go well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, my dear Stephen!!! I greatly appreciate the positive thoughts. I will sure be glad when it is all over with. (All I want for Christmas is my two good eyes back?)

      Delete
  8. I think if you like new stuff and don't mind taking the time to navigate, reinstall, change, modify, try to find stuff you used to like and getting over the fact that a few things are gone...then that is okay. Me...I hated it. I hated going to do something and finding that it was going to take research and googling and asking my husband for help. I finally got frustrated and reverted back to the old system. I work from home a lot, so I couldn't spend the time playing around with things--I needed it to work immediately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, my dear Lin!!! I hear you. I hate all of that, as well. Hopefully, Windows 7 will be supported for at least another 2-3 years while 8 and 8.1 should be good for another 5.

      Delete

Since the Blogger spam filter has been found sorely lacking lately, I will start moderating comments. Be assured that I am only interested in deleting spam. So, if you feel a need to take me to task over something—even anonymously, go ahead and let 'er rip, and I will publish it as soon as I can.