Monday, August 1, 2011

Come Monday...Dan Patrick

“Come Monday…” is a weekly series that will involve a review of, or commentary about,  websites, movies, documentaries, television shows, sports, music, and whatever else may tickle my fancy at the time.  Be assured that these reviews will be generally positive, as in accordance to the Jimmy Buffett song “Come Monday.”  This is subject to change, however.  In fact, I would be most derelict in my duties to neglect going on a rant every once in a while.  For rants promote change, and change can be good—right?  Therefore, since good is generally considered as being a positive force in 99.3% of the parallel universes that I am aware of, even a rant could be considered as being something positive, and a genuine hissy-fit would be even better (so I’m told).


Back while I was still trucking coast-to-coast, one of the highlights of my day was catching a broadcast of [The Dan Patrick Show] on [ESPN Radio].  For he sounded like a man’s man, who could joke around about different sporting events and players without getting too silly, as well as get serious when it was warranted.


The opening to that SportsCenter serves as a good example.  For that’s Dan doing the monologue.

Yes, that was [Keith Olbermann] sitting next to him, and they made quite a team until Olbermann started suffering from delusions of grandeur.  In fact, many would argue that they, along with [Chris Berman], were the main reasons why ESPN rose to the top of the sports programming world as quickly as it did, but since Dan and Keith are no longer with ESPN, I don’t think any of the network’s executives would be counted amongst them.  Well, at least not publicly.

Patrick now has his own syndicated sports show, which can be caught on both radio and TV.  It comes on at 8 AM (CDST) on [FoxSports Net Midwest], which is what I watch when I can, and it is a running joke on the show that The Mother Ship (ESPN) is bound and determined to see him fail.  Despite several statements to the contrary from both sides, since ESPN will not allow their personnel to be guests on his show, Dan may have a point.  After all, other networks, such as Fox Sports, Sports Illustrated and The NFL Network don’t seem to have a problem with their people coming by on a regular basis.

I don’t know if it is me or him, but I don’t seem to enjoy the show as much as I did.  Much of this has to do with the interaction between Dan and [The Danetts], who make up his on-air staff.  For much of it is plumb silly, and 2-3 times per show, it rapidly descends into practiced stupidity.  Yes, I well aware of how old and decrepit I am getting.

Nonetheless, The Dan Patrick Show is still well worth watching on TV or listening to over the radio—especially with the NFL being back in business!  Oh yeah, I am so ready for some football.

Please Also Visit:
and

2 comments:

  1. I've flipped through channels and come across a show I used to really love watching. It's very disappointing when I stop to watch and wonder why I used to like it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by again, my dear Ann!!! So, are you saying that you are starting to notice how old and decrepit you are getting?

    ReplyDelete

Since the Blogger spam filter has been found sorely lacking lately, I will start moderating comments. Be assured that I am only interested in deleting spam. So, if you feel a need to take me to task over something—even anonymously, go ahead and let 'er rip, and I will publish it as soon as I can.