Monday, December 21, 2009

Come Monday...The Sparrows

“Come Monday…” is a weekly series that will involve a review of, or commentary about, websites, movies, documentaries, television shows, sports, music, and whatever else may tickle my fancy at the time. Be assured that these reviews will be generally positive, as in accordance to the Jimmy Buffett song “Come Monday.” This is subject to change, however. In fact, I would be most derelict in my duties to neglect going on a rant every once in a while. For rants promote change, and change can be good—right? Therefore, since good is generally considered as being a positive force in 99.3% of the parallel universes that I am aware of, even a rant could be considered as being something positive, and a genuine hissy-fit would be even better (so I’m told).


A few weeks ago, I received an email notification that The Sparrows wanted to be friends on MySpace. After reading that their reason for wanting this was because of seeing that I was a fan of [Steve Earle], I enthusiastically approved of their request and promised that I would try to post a review of their music as soon as possible. For I had a “feeling” that I would enjoy their music as much as his.

Well, I was not disappointed in the least. On their [MySpace page], they list the following as musical influences: [The Band], [The Rolling Stones], [The Eagles], [Lucinda Williams], [Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young], [The Flying Burrito Brothers], [Leon Russell], [The Beatles], [Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers], [The Long Ryders], [Waylon Jennings], [Leonard Cohen], [Warren Zevon], [WILCO], [Buck Owens], [Emmylou Harris], [Neil Young], [Bob Dylan], [Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds], [anything Motown], [Johnny Cash], [Chris Isaak], [Willie Nelson], [Uncle Tupelo], [The Allman Brothers], [Steve Earle], [Drive-By Truckers], [Ryan Adams], [Humble Pie], [Creedence Clearwater Revival], [Gram Parsons], [Cactus], [Counting Crows], [Son Volt], [The Wallflowers], [Joe Cocker], [The Black Crowes], among many others… Be assured that they did them all proud.

Needless to say, theirs is my kind of music. Regardless of what you want to call it, it is southern rock at its finest to me.

A good example of that is the opening lick on Feel Better. For it immediately took me back to hearing [Jon Butcher’s Wishes] for the first time, and the rest was [sawmill gravy] heaped on a plate full of buttermilk biscuits. In other words, it was some really good stuff.

Alas, I regret not being able to provide Feel Better for you here. For I could not find an embeddable copy of it anywhere, but you can listen to the song on their [MySpace page] and at [CD Baby].

No, that is not the only song of theirs that I fell in love with, and I was able to find an embeddable copy of Radio. The second video includes part of The Hitchhiker, which kicks in at around the 50 second mark, and if it doesn’t get your toes to tappin’, there’s something seriously wrong with you.

The truth is that I had a fairly hard time finding much of anything on them. For when I go to do a review like this, I look to see if I can find something other than what is provided on their MySpace page, and when I went to do this, the first thing I found was a website for [another band] by the same name, then a Wikipedia article about an early sixties Canadian rock band that later became [Steppenwolf].

I suppose the reason why I had such a hard time is because they are a fairly new band that is yet to break out into the international spotlight, but if they keep playing the way they are, I’m sure it won’t be long before most everyone knows who The Sparrows are. Please, listen to what I mean.

Link: [On CD Baby]

Please Also Visit: [FishHawk Droppings]


2 comments:

  1. Yeah they sound pretty good. I could listen to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by again, my dear Ann!!! I'm glad you liked them, but what about your husband and Duke?

    ReplyDelete

Since the Blogger spam filter has been found sorely lacking lately, I will start moderating comments. Be assured that I am only interested in deleting spam. So, if you feel a need to take me to task over something—even anonymously, go ahead and let 'er rip, and I will publish it as soon as I can.