Monday, November 16, 2009

Come Monday...The Sumner Brothers

“Come Monday…” is a weekly series that will involve a review of, or commentary about, websites, movies, documentaries, television shows, sports, music, and whatever else may tickle my fancy at the time. Be assured that these reviews will be generally positive, as in accordance to the Jimmy Buffett song “Come Monday.” This is subject to change, however. In fact, I would be most derelict in my duties to neglect going on a rant every once in a while. For rants promote change, and change can be good—right? Therefore, since good is generally considered as being a positive force in 99.3% of the parallel universes that I am aware of, even a rant could be considered as being something positive, and a genuine hissy-fit would be even better (so I’m told).

I suppose the best way to describe The Sumner Brothers is that they are Canadian country/rock band, but that would not be doing them justice. For they have a sound that is so familiar to me, and yet quite unique. Therefore, it is hard to put them down as just this or that. For in many cases, they are all of the above.

Now, how was that for being specifically vague? I was kinda impressed with it myself, but I reckon I could be accused of being somewhat prejudiced.

On the other hand, you might have a similar opinion after listening to a few of their songs. Going Out West, Pain, Darcy’s Song, Both Back and I Was Young When I Left Home are currently available to be listened to on their [MySpace Page], and several videos are on YouTube.

I have included a couple of those videos below. Both Back is off of their newest release, Sumner Brothers, and Going Out West is off of their In The Garage album.

Since I could not find any of their lyrics online, I was just plain too lazy to listen to both songs over and over again to get the lyrics for both. Sorry, and if I made some mistakes with the words to Both Back, I am sorry about that, too.

Nonetheless, I do not believe that you will be sorry about listening to their music. For I hear shades of [Johnny Cash], [Neil Young], [Chris LeDoux] and [The Marshall Tucker Band] when I listen, and that is some really good stuff.

Link: [Sumner Brothers]


Link: [On YouTube]

Both Back
The Sumner Brothers

Well he came down the stairs
He told me he’s dead
It’s hard to love a man
Like you love your dad

I him back
I want ‘em both back
Yeah I know it’s too late
Everything I love is gonna be taken away

Well I walked right up
I couldn’t say a word
Everything he said came back
And it hurt

I him back
I want ‘em both back
Yeah I know it’s too late
Everything I love is gonna be taken away

Miss Cakel said
What’s the point
You’ve got a beautiful girl but you’re gonna get old
You’re gonna die

I him back
I want ‘em both back
Yeah I know it’s too late
Everything I love is gonna be taken away

Well I know you’re serious
You thump on your chest
I knew you had a part
If you would just confess

I him back
I want ‘em both back
Yeah I know it’s too late
Everything I love is gonna be taken away


Link: [In The Garage]


Link: [On YouTube]

Going Out West
The Sumner Brothers


Please Also Visit: [FishHawk Droppings]

4 comments:

  1. Hmmm, well.... I hate to do it but I'm going to have to say I didn't really care for them. I could listen to it but it's not something I would go looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, their style is certainly not for everyone. Thanks for stopping by again, my dear Ann!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sumner Brothers absolutely rock! love 'em ... if you like them, then you;ll probably dig "Jon and Roy - Another Noon (2008)" ... great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by, my dear Sebastian!!! They are indeed a great band, and I'll go check out what you recommended.

    ReplyDelete

Since the Blogger spam filter has been found sorely lacking lately, I will start moderating comments. Be assured that I am only interested in deleting spam. So, if you feel a need to take me to task over something—even anonymously, go ahead and let 'er rip, and I will publish it as soon as I can.