Monday, October 11, 2010

Come Monday...MO Proposition A

“Come Monday…” is a weekly series that will involve a review of, or commentary about,  websites, movies, documentaries, television shows, sports, music, and whatever else may tickle my fancy at the time.  Be assured that these reviews will be generally positive, as in accordance to the Jimmy Buffett song “Come Monday.”  This is subject to change, however.  In fact, I would be most derelict in my duties to neglect going on a rant every once in a while.  For rants promote change, and change can be good—right?  Therefore, since good is generally considered as being a positive force in 99.3% of the parallel universes that I am aware of, even a rant could be considered as being something positive, and a genuine hissy-fit would be even better (so I’m told).



To be quite honest about it, I ain’t got nothing for here this week. Well, I obviously have something. For if I didn’t, you wouldn’t be reading even this, but being the razor-sharp somebodies you all are, it shouldn’t take you long to see that it ain’t much.

Yeah, I’ve got a good excuse. Hey, I’ve always got one or two of them in my back pocket, and the one I would like to use in this particular instance is that my energy level has been lower than it usually is for several weeks now, which is making quite a statement. For even on good days, it takes all I have to walk across a small room, and when I get to where I was going, it takes a while before I am able to do anything but sit there until my brain start working again. (Yeah, yeah, yeah, I hear you, my dear [Adullamite].

Maybe I could use that excuse for how it came as such a shock to me to hear about [MO Proposition A]. For I didn’t even know that there was such a thing as a city earnings tax—let alone a campaign to keep it from spreading across the state, which is being spearheaded by [Let Voters Decide].

If you are like me just mere days ago, and don’t have a clue about what I am talking about, Kansas City and St. Louis have levied an additional earning tax on top of the federal and state income taxes upon all who make money inside their city limits. Have you ever heard of anything like this anywhere else?

Yeah, I know! For I would think that something like this would have been all over the news, but the first I ever heard of it was just last week.

Well, it was actually about Proposition A that I heard of, and it reads as follows:
Shall Missouri law be amended to:
*Repeal the authority of certain cities to use earnings taxes to fund their budgets;
*Require voters in cities that currently have an earnings tax to approve continuation of such tax at the next general municipal election and at an election held every 5 years thereafter;
*Require any current earnings tax that is not approved by the voters to be phased out over a period of 10 years; and
*Prohibit any city from adding a new earnings tax to fund their budget?


The proposal could eliminate certain city earnings taxes. For 2010, Kansas City and the City of St. Louis budgeted earnings tax revenue of $199.2 million and $141.2 million, respectively. Reduced earnings tax deductions could increase state revenues by $4.8 million. The total cost or savings to state and local governmental entities is unknown.


Fair Ballot Language:
A “yes” vote will amend Missouri law to repeal the authority of certain cities to use earnings taxes to fund their budgets. The amendment further requires voters in cities that currently have an earnings tax, St. Louis and Kansas City, to approve continuation of such tax at the next general municipal election and at an election held every five years or to phase out the tax over a period of ten years.


A “no” vote will not change the current Missouri law regarding earnings taxes.
If passed, this measure will impact taxes by removing the ability of cities to fund their budgets through earnings taxes. The only exception is that voters in cities that currently have an earnings tax may vote to continue such taxes.

So, what do you think about this? Please, try to keep it at least somewhat civil. For we’re all about keeping the peace here. That is, until it is time to go to war, of course.

Please Also Visit: [FishHawk Droppings]

10 comments:

  1. Yanks and tax!
    Just pay it and think about others for a change instead of worshipping Mammon!
    Jesus paid his taxes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by again, my dear Adullamite!!! Be assured that I have no problem with paying appropriate taxes. For I know that they are necessary for the good of all concerned, but I have a big problem with so much going into the pockets of those who initiate nonsensical programs just so they can say that they are doing something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least Dick Turpin wore a mask. I know how you feel, we have the highest taxes in Europe here and by the looks of things it's not going to change anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, NYC residents pay a city "surcharge" tax and that includes people who work in NYC and live elsewhere. It's been in effect for as long as I can remember.

    ReplyDelete
  5. DC has been trying for years to institute a "commuter tax" on people who live in MD or VA and work in DC. The region has reciprocal arrangements so that folks that live in MD but work in VA and vice versa would only pay the tax of the state that they reside in. If Congress ever let DC have their commuter tax, it would throw all of those arrangements out the door.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know if it's the same thing but we have an occupational privilege tax. Since I first started working back in 1975 it was always $10 a year, that is up until 2 or 3 years ago when they raised it to $50 a year.
    If they aren't taxing one thing it's another.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for stopping by again, my dear Ryan!!! Many of our politicians use European taxation as an example of the fact that we do not have anything to complain about, but that is avoiding the point. For if taxes are accomplishing good for all concerned, there shouldn't be any complaints, but if they are being wasted, it is idiotic to not say anything. Of course, when a body of people gather, varied opinions are inevitable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for stopping by again, my dear Grace!!! I suppose I have been living a more sheltered life than I realized.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for stopping by again, my dear Dickster!!! I am surprised that they haven't gotten that passed long ago. For if it was stipulated that all members of Congress would be exempt...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for stopping by again, my dear Ann!!! Now that is a new one on me. Hmm, a tax on being allowed to live there... Wow, you must live in a very special place!

    ReplyDelete

Since the Blogger spam filter has been found sorely lacking lately, I will start moderating comments. Be assured that I am only interested in deleting spam. So, if you feel a need to take me to task over something—even anonymously, go ahead and let 'er rip, and I will publish it as soon as I can.