Sunday, February 12, 2017

https:


When I first heard of Google rating whether a site was secure or not, I did not pay all that much attention, but then I started hearing more and more about it might not being a bad thing for [SiteHoundSniffs], I decided to get’r’done.

If you do not know what I am talking about, the http: at the beginning of a site address is changed to https: while a padlock shows up to the left.  This involves having at least a shared SSL certificate and removing any “stuff” on the site.  [SSL] stands for Secure Sockets Layer,  which is the standard security technology for establishing an encrypted link between a web server and a browser. This link ensures that all data passed between the web server and browsers remain private and integral.

To accomplish it for SiteHoundSniffs, I had to upgrade my hosting plan to a business level in order to have a shared SSL certificate.  A private SSL certificate is available, but it costs more than we can afford at this time.  I upgraded several weeks ago, but there was still not a padlock showing up while my upgrade seemed to be on hold (according to my HostGator dashboard).  I was finally able to get in touch with someone to help me (the trouble was probably my fault) and they said I had the certificate and suggested going to [Why No Padlock?] to determine what may be the problem.  If you look up at the address bar here, you won’t see a padlock, nor an https:.  Blogger/Blogspot sites share a SSL certificate, but there is some “stuff” on here keeping the padlock away.  One of the things is the Feedjit widget on the sidebar, which would be easy to remove.  I have no idea what the other thing is.  Hence, “stuff.”

Yeah, there was some “stuff” on SiteHoundSniffs, and after doing some research, I came upon a WordPress plugin that got rid of most of it after three passes of increasing the setting.  Ah, but Really Simple SSL was indeed simple and finished the job in one pass.  Needless to say (I hope) you can now see a padlock and https: on the SiteHoundSniffs.com address bar.

I do not know if something broke in the code while removing the “stuff,” but when I went to start adding a new round of listings to SiteHoundSniffs, I could not access the All category on the backend.  The others I checked seemed to be fine, but I still had a major problem on my hands.

After failing to find a realistic (for me) way to easily fix the problem, the only recourse seems to be deleting the page for the All category and building another.  Since Grayson has been somewhat less than fully satisfied with the way the site looks, it will be undergoing some major remodeling for the next week or so.  He promises that it will not take all that long, and I have rued the days I have called his bluff in the past.  Sigh.

Please Also Visit:

18 comments:

  1. Gibbs and I feel that it sounds all too complicated and we opt to go find some snacks instead of trying to understand all that is involved in the process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, my dear Ann!!! If I had of had any idea just what I was getting into... I hope you two like the color changes. I am still shocked over the difference made by the burnt-orange background. Although, Grayson has not seen it yet.

      Delete
  2. Stopping by to say hello to a friend - Hi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, my dear Sandie!!! I hope all is going well for you and yours.

      Delete
  3. Grayson's right!

    Scotland is still part of the UK???

    The green lock shows up OK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, my dear Adullamite!!! Be assured that I will be quick to make the adjustment as soon as it becomes official, which is looking more likely than before. England may have to start conscripting foreigners into service again.

      Delete
  4. Hi, Jerry
    Hope everything works out soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, my dear Martin!!! Well, it is going to take a lot longer than Grayson alluded to. For it looks like all of the big pages were corrupted and will have to be rebuilt.

      Delete
  5. I am glad you are trying to figure out all the stuff, way over my head!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank for stopping by, my dear Kim!!! Alas, I am feeling rather overwhelmed right now.

      Delete
  6. Yep, that's more than I could handle. Congratulations to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, my dear Silver Fox!!! Since I think I may have broke the site in the process, maybe condolences might be more in order. (LOL?)

      Delete
  7. Hi Jerry so your side is safe and secure now It is getting better each time Hope you are well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, my dear Marja!!! Quite frankly, I have no idea if it is anymore safe now than it was before, but if it makes Google happy...

      Delete
  8. This all sounds so complicated, I admire you for grappling with it, it would be beyond me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, my dear Jenny!!! It is probably not nearly as complicated as I am making it out to be, but I have a talent for that sort of thing. Sigh.

      Delete
  9. Hi Jerry thanks by invited me!
    You have a nice blog!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, my dear Gloria!!! Your Canela Kitchen makes me hungry! (LOL?)

      Delete

Since the Blogger spam filter has been found sorely lacking lately, I will start moderating comments. Be assured that I am only interested in deleting spam. So, if you feel a need to take me to task over something—even anonymously, go ahead and let 'er rip, and I will publish it as soon as I can.