Sunday, November 27, 2016

Rocks in the River



Just go with the flow is a popular saying that sure sounds good if there is nothing other than water to contend with, but what about the rocks in the river?  Some particular jagged ones I have smashed into while trying to go with the flow of managing [SiteHoundSniffs.com] has been technology and people.  Yeah, that pretty much sums up the whole deal with the new site directory, which has left me grimacing in agony more than once since the beginning of this ordeal dream.

In regards to technology, adding new sites in alphanumeric order has been a serious pain because of having to do it manually because of not knowing the code so that it can be done automatically from the database.  What made it especially painful was having the displayed headers mixed in with the text links.  Now, I can sort the lists with MS Word during the processing, but I have not found an app that will do this on WordPress.  To make it somewhat easier on me, I have moved all of the displayed headers to the top, with the text links underneath in each category and country.  When it comes time to add new sites, I will delete the old text links and replace them with the updated listings.  When someone allows their header to be displayed, it will be added in alphanumeric order at the top and their text link is deleted.

What I continue to be beat up by the most is people—especially those who just do not get the simple concept of replying to their comments on their sites.  Maybe it is just me not getting their logic behind returning comments everywhere but right there under where a comment was left, but it is a genuine pain trying to figure out what site is theirs when they give permission without letting me know where it is coming from.  I have even had 5-6, who answered my comment on someone else’s post on my Google+ page!  You see, Google+ works a lot like Facebook, in that when you leave a Google+ comment somewhere else, it will show up on your own page.  Then when someone leaves a comment for you on that thread, their comment also shows up in the comments on the original post (as if they were leaving a comment for that person).  Hopefully, having this post at the top of my Google+ page and not leaving anymore Google+ comments elsewhere will solve that problem.

I really need to get rid of Google+ altogether, but it has shown some potential.  When I checked how many had visited my Google+ page a year and a half ago, the number was just short of 2 million, which is double how many have visited here over the years.  In all fairness, I cannot attest to just how accurate that headcount may have been.  For a year before, the number was over 6 and a half million.  I have no idea what the count is now.  For that statistic is no longer available.  The biggest reason I am sticking with having a Google+ profile is that I am afraid of going back to just a Google profile will mess up access to my Google stuff.  For my old Google profile has been evidently deleted, and the thought of making a new one has me spooked.  After all, all it would take is a half-microsecond glitch in the data stream to have me locked out in the cold with no way to claim my Google account.

Okay, I will continue to just go with the flow.  I suppose I have no other choice.  By the way, have I failed to mention that I have an aversion to drowning?

Please Also Visit:

42 comments:

  1. You're doing better than I. I'm technologically dysfunctional.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, my dear Gorges!!! Yeah, I consider myself to only be technologically-challenged. (LOL?) I hope you-all had a very HAPPY THANKSGIVING.

      Delete
    2. Well I took myself off Google+ awhile ago - but it appears people can still join me somewhere????

      Delete
    3. Thanks for stopping by, my dear Chatty!!! Maybe Google+ is like a street gang where there is only one way to leave it? (LOL?)

      Delete
    4. Sorry, I forgot to hope that you-all had a very HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

      Delete
  2. I agree, going with the flow isn't always an easy thing to do. Here's hoping that all your rocks are small ones

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, my dear Ann!!! Alas, I may act real tough, but I am really quite sensitive. I hope you-all had a very HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

      Delete
  3. Yep, drowning not a good thing, ever. You are right on with go with the flow, far more times the better, unless...well, that's for another day. Also one of my mother's favorite ones is Just rise above it! That one comes in handy so much right now! Stronger together I agree!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, my dear Karen!!! Yeah, I still can't believe Trump won, either. I hope you-all had a very HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

      Delete
  4. Here's hoping you iron out all the kinks. Sorry so many aren't following your simple rules!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, my dear Silver Fox!!! Did I detect a hint of sarcasm there? (LOL?) I hope you-all had a very HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

      Delete
  5. Oh sounds quite an ordeal. I have never managed to get to grips with Wordpress and feel your pain. Still, sounds as if you are starting to get there and that is good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, my dear Jenny!!! I think it would be easier if I could see what I am trying to do much better. I hope you-all had a great weekend!

      Delete
  6. Hoping all turns out alright

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, my dear Martin!!! Hopefully, it will be over soon (in one way or another). I hope you-all had a very HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

      Delete
  7. Oh this sounds like such hard work. It's way over my head though :)). I see your pain with Google.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, my dear Kim!!! I left a comment on one of your posts 2-3 weeks ago asking if we could display your header, and I have not heard back from you yet about it.

      Delete
    2. Oh yeah, I hope you-all had a very HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

      Delete
  8. I don't have google plus, and I'm just trying to keep up with my little blog without adding anything extra. I know what you mean cause I've been trying to figure things out lately with the new details of blogger. Hang in there, friend.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, my dear Sheri!!! Yeah, I don't think I like the "simplified" Blogger dashboard. Hey, Red Rose Alley is on the list to be added in a later round, but since I have you here now--may we display its header on SiteHoundSniffs.com? There is nothing for you to do on your end.

      Delete
  9. Hi Jerry Just came to wish you a Merry Christmas and an amazing 2017

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, my dear Marja!!! Be assured that I am so sorry for not being able to stop by your site in a while. working on SiteHoundSniffs is taking everything I got. I sure hope you-all have a very MERRY CHRISTMAS and a very HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

      Delete
  10. Jerry, I hope all is going well for you and that you will lift your head from your hard work for a moment, my friend, to read my good wishes for 2017!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, my dear Jenny!!! Alas, between family health concerns and SiteHoundSniffs, I have been plumb unsociable for over a year now. Yet, friends like you keep thinking of me. 'Tis truly an immeasurable treasure.

      Delete
  11. I nearly drowned just reading this so I think you are doing well to have stayed afloat so long. I hope I'm not going to be another rock in your choppy waters but I have recently changes the name of my blog from 'A Gardeners Diary' to 'Gardener To The Big House' as I feel it gives a more accurate idea of what I am about. Anyway keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, my dear Robert!!! Thank you also for letting me know, and the changes have been made. Furthermore, aside from All, Gardening and the United Kingdom, your linked header can now be seen under Travel/Adventure. Please tell everyone what a wonderful job I am doing so that Grayson might quit watering my leg far too often. (LOL?)

      Delete
  12. Mario's Meowsings here - yes you may use my header on your site if you wish. I'm with you on Google Plus and wish I knew how to get rid of it also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, my dear Mario!!! At least you have your comments set up right. I have not been able to leave comments on 3-4 sites that had their's set up with Google+ after I discovered what a mess it was making of my Google+ page. By the way, I just left a comment on your site thanking you for giving permission to display your header.

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, my dear Roughterrain!!! I hope you and yours are having a very HAPPY NEW YEAR! Hey, I sure wish you would let us display your header. I asked a few weeks ago, but have never heard back from you yet.

      Delete
  14. Sounds like you had a major project here! Good luck working out the kinks. Happy 2017!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, my dear Sherry!!! Grayson insists that I am the biggest kink. Sigh.

      Delete
  15. And yes - you may add my header(s) to the listing(s). Thanks so much! (My blogs are Mama Diaries and Gone Gardening.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by again, my dear Sherry!!! Thank you also for giving permission. You can see your linked header For Mama Diaries under All, Daily Life, Literary and the United States. You can also see your linked header for Gone Gardening under All, Gardening, Travel and the United States. I will leave a notice on each site just in case you are not subscribing to the comment feed here.

      Delete
  16. Ha! I think I just commented on your Google+ page, sorry. :D Anyway you have my permission from Liberty or Death. Thanks for all your hard work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, my dear Bethany!!! I just left a thank you comment on your site for allowing your header to be displayed on SiteHoundSniffs.com.

      Delete
  17. Yes, you can add my link to your blog. I think you can do that without permission, but it is polite of you to ask. I find Google+ and this new format confusing and over-designed. But that is just me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, my dear Tabor!!! Thank you for giving permission. I just sent you an email explaining that both your One Day at a Time and Room Without Walls are displayed.

      I am right there with you on Google+. Outside analysts consider it to be a bust. I will probably try to make the switch if my eyesight ever improves. Right now I am paranoid over missing a critical checkbox or something.

      Delete
  18. Evidently, I am one of those difficult people who can't figure out how to respond to a simple request to add my blog to your directory!

    I understand your frustration. Every time I've attempted to navigate Google+ it has ended in despair. Best of luck with your directory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, my dear Lynn!!! Well, now that you have found your way here, can we display your linked header? Your site is already listed as a text-link.

      Delete
  19. To answer your question... Yes, you can put our blog on your new site directory. But if you could just put our name, not our picture, I would appreciate it. Thank you, Jerry, for thinking of Red Rose Alley. That was thoughtful of you. I hope the new year is being kind to you.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, my dear Sherri!!! Thank you also for giving permission. You can see your linked header (as requested) under All, Home Improvement and the United States, If you could say something (preferably good) about SiteHoundSniffs.com here and there, we would greatly appreciate it.

      Delete

Since the Blogger spam filter has been found sorely lacking lately, I will start moderating comments. Be assured that I am only interested in deleting spam. So, if you feel a need to take me to task over something—even anonymously, go ahead and let 'er rip, and I will publish it as soon as I can.