Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Bitter/Sweets: Heal The Land

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
{2 Chronicles 7:14 NIV}


No, none of this is meant to discourage participation in the political process. For that is all part of what it means to be a good citizen in a country with a government that is meant to be of the people, by the people, and for the people—a country that was indeed established by our Heavenly Father{1}.

There is, however, a proper way of doing things that goes far beyond the apparent political process. For it truly is as it is written: “Remember this, fix it in mind, take it to heart, you rebels. Remember the former things, those of long ago; I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like me. I make known the end from the beginning, from ancient times, what is still to come. I say: My purpose will stand, and I will do all that I please.”{2}

Hence: the significance of 2 Chronicles 7:14. For in spite of what has been so widely taught: this world still belongs unto our Heavenly Father{3}; and only He can fix what has He has allowed to be broken{4}.

Therefore: let us want to truly humble ourselves before Him{5}. For it truly is as it is also written: “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”{6}

No, it cannot be denied that there is much about this country that is broken; but let us keep in mind that there is more at stake than just the here and now. For a law cannot change what is in a person’s heart—not even His Law{7}; and it is the condition of a person’s heart that is what our Heavenly Father is concerned with{8}.

Yes, it is true that laws are meant to define what is harmful{9}; and it is in that regard that laws are most certainly good{10}. For how can someone with very poor judgment know that they are driving way too fast in a particular area unless there is a speed limit clearly posted (naturally-speaking, of course)???

The question is: is it the safely of all concerned that is what we are truly concerned with{11}??? For in far too many cases it is more about control than anything else{12}.

[{1}Romans 13:1; {2}Isaiah 46:8-10 NIV; {3}Job 41:11; {4}Job 12:14; {5}Isaiah 45:5-12; {6}Jeremiah 29:11 NIV; {7}Romans 8:3; {8}Ezekiel 18:31-32; {9}Romans 5:13; {10}1 Timothy 1:8-10; {11}James 2:12-13; {12}Matthew 23:23-28]

8 comments:

  1. Fishawk,

    I'm in totally agreement with your statement

    "For a law cannot change what is in a person’s heart—not even His Law{7}; and it is the condition of a person’s heart that is what our Heavenly Father is concerned with"

    Quite honestly politics leave a sour taste in my mouth, however I do not condemn a Believer for getting involved in the process. The only problem I have with the combination of Christianity and Politics is the temptation to "promote" fallible beings as the "best choice" or "the one". As far as I'm concern, there is no better choice than Christ Jesus who now reigns in Heaven, I see this life as temporal. I have hope in Christ, not for this life only, but the one to come.

    I think sometimes we get too "caught up" in the now that we forget what the Word says about the "later".

    Thank you for you post.:) May Peace and Grace be muliplied upon you.

    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so very much, my dear Hannah. I suppose it could be summed-up as being a part of that razors edge between being IN this world and being OF this world that we are called to balance upon. For I was once told that I was too Heavenly-minded to be of much earthly good, which I took as a great compliment at the time; but now...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for participating in The Seventh Day blog carnival On the Horizon! This post is a great contribution to this week's carnival -- much to think about. I hope that you will stop by and check out the other wonderful submissions this week & participate again in the future.

    Blessings,

    Hopeful Spirit
    On the Horizon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this wonderful message. It is time to fix the problem and with the help of God we will accomplish it.

    Love and Blessings,
    AngelBaby

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Angelbaby. Be assured that there is much about this world in general and this country in particular that "I" would like to see changed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, another great post! You just earned a spot on my blogroll.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Being still bloody from the battles that I have had to be engaged in this past week: I can certainly appreciate the name of your blog, my dear Analyst.

    ReplyDelete

Since the Blogger spam filter has been found sorely lacking lately, I will start moderating comments. Be assured that I am only interested in deleting spam. So, if you feel a need to take me to task over something—even anonymously, go ahead and let 'er rip, and I will publish it as soon as I can.