Wednesday, November 25, 2015

America the Beautiful


From time to time, I will rant and rave about the problems we have been way too content to simply endure in this country for far too long.  For we could do so much better, but I want it to be widely known and clearly understood that I am still most thankful for being born an American.

No, being born an American does not make me any more special than anyone born elsewhere.  For none of us would exist if our Heavenly Father did not want us to, and we are all precious in His sight.

Yeah, just the opposite sure seems much more likely.  For life in this world is a horror—even for those who appear to have it good.   After all, only a monster does not feel for the plight of the apparently less fortunate.

Ah, but we have our Heavenly Father’s promise that the suffering in this world is as nothing in comparison to the glory that is yet to come for all who will but want to truly spend all of eternity with Him in His Kingdom of Heaven as an heir to all that is His glory.

Deep down, you know if that is indeed true of yourself.  May it be true for our Heavenly Father’s sake, and consider that this world has never been meant to last but for a little while in comparison to the whole of eternity.  So, if He was willing to provide such temporary natural beauty, just imagine how beautiful His Kingdom of Heaven will be forevermore.  Is this not something we all should be thankful for?


America the Beautiful
Oh beautiful
For spacious skies
For amber waves of grain
For purple mountain
Majesties
Above the fruited plain

America
America
God shed His grace on thee
And crown thy good
With brotherhood
From sea to shining sea

Oh beautiful
For pilgrim’s feet
Whose stern impassioned stress
A thoroughfare
For freedom beat
Across the wilderness

America
America
God mend thine every flaw
Confirm thy soul
In self-control
Thy liberty in law

Oh beautiful
For heroes proved
In liberating strife
Who more than self
Their country loved
And mercy more than life

America
America
May God thy gold refine
‘Til all success
Be nobleness
And every gain divine

Oh Beautiful
For patriot dream
That sees beyond the years
Thine alabaster
Cities gleam
Undimmed by human tears

America
America
God shed His grace on thee
And crown thy good
With brotherhood
From sea to shining sea

Oh beautiful
For halcyon skies
For amber waves of grain
For purple mountain majesties
Above the enameled plain

America
America
God shed his grace on thee
‘Til souls wax fair
As earth and air
And music-hearted sea

Oh beautiful
For pilgrim’s feet
Whose stem impassioned stress
A thoroughfare
For freedom beat
Across the wilderness

America
America
God shed his grace on thee
‘Til paths be wrought
Through wilds of thought
By pilgrim foot and knee

Oh beautiful
For glory-tale
Of liberating strife
When once and twice
For man's avail
Men lavished precious life

America
America
God shed his grace on thee
‘Til selfish gain
No longer stain
The banner of the free

Oh beautiful
For patriot dream
That sees beyond the years
Thine alabaster
Cities gleam
Undimmed by human tears

America
America
God shed his grace on thee
‘Til nobler men
Keep once again
Thy whiter jubilee

Oh beautiful
For spacious skies
For amber waves of grain
For purple mountain
Majesties
Above the fruited plain

America
America
God shed His grace on thee
And crown thy good
With brotherhood
From sea to shining sea
  
Please Also Visit:

14 comments:

  1. The beauty of nature is often such a consolation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, my dear Jenny!!! Yes, this country is much better to look at than hear from these days, but I hope we will come to our senses.

      Delete
  2. Happy Thanksgiving Jerry. Your head (and heart) is in the right place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, my dear Shadow!!! Be assured that I greatly appreciate the encouragement.

      Delete
  3. I wasn't familiar with all the lyrics to this song and it was fun reading all of the words. Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, my dear Stephen!!! I knew that there is more to the song than what is usually sung, but I had no idea that it is actually that long until I went to put this together.

      Delete
  4. Well done thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, my dear Martin!!! I an glad you enjoyed this.

      Delete
  5. I'm very grateful to be born into this country!! Wishing you a wonderful Thanksgiving with your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, my dear Barb!!! I hope you and yours have a great celebration. Arlynda and her mother went over to Leslie's last night and pigged out.

      Delete
  6. I never had a father actively play a role in my life, and unlike you, I don't believe in a "Heavenly Father", either. I am not a religious person...and the more I see and hear about the blood being shed in the name of so-called "religion" - I just don't understand how people can believe in fairy tales...perhaps they do out of fear.

    You have your beliefs, Jerry...and I have mine. There will be no Kingdom of Heaven, nor will there be any Hell waiting for me when I die. Deep down and also openly I know this to be true of myself.

    This is my opinion...my belief...just as you have yours. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, my dear Lee!!! If it is indeed true that our existences in this world are all that there will be to us, our lives are a great tragedy in even the very best of circumstances, but if there is more, we can have hope of all of the apparent wrongs being righted in the perfect way.

      Delete
  7. I know this song well. It's one that we sang often in school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, my dear Ann!!! Did you-all sing the whole thing? As I told Stephen, I did not know it had so many verses until I went to put this piece together.

      Delete

Since the Blogger spam filter has been found sorely lacking lately, I will start moderating comments. Be assured that I am only interested in deleting spam. So, if you feel a need to take me to task over something—even anonymously, go ahead and let 'er rip, and I will publish it as soon as I can.