Monday, November 18, 2013

Come Monday...Doubling the Joy

“Come Monday…” is a weekly series that will involve a review of (or commentary about) websites, movies, documentaries, television shows, sports, music, and whatever else may tickle my fancy at the time.  Be assured that these reviews will be generally positive, as in accordance to the Jimmy Buffett song “Come Monday.”  This is subject to change, however.  In fact, I would be most derelict in my duties to neglect going on a rant every once in a while.  For rants promote change, and change can be good—right?  Therefore, since good is generally considered as being a positive force in 99.3% of the parallel universes that I am aware of, even a rant could be considered as being something positive, and a genuine hissy-fit would be even better (so I’m told).

I suppose it is arguable that the giving of gifts is ultimately self-serving for someone like me.  For it always brings me great joy.

Oh, and it has been pointed out to me that purchasing gifts from individuals and small shops can double the joy.  For it makes the giving all the more personal when the gift is obtained from someone not so unlike yourself.


Alas, I have included a reminder link at the end of my November posts in years past to encourage as many as will to consider obtaining handmade gifts from small operations, but I have really been out of sorts the past month or so.  Thankfully, it is not yet too late to do so in time for Christmas.


Michael Lynch’s [Ryukyu Gallery] serves as a perfect example of what I am trying to convey.  For his photography prints would make a fine addition to many a wall, and the more that sells, the less trouble he stays out of with his longsuffering wife.

Okay, I was just smarting off there.  For Michael is usually a delight to correspond with, but he can be a cantankerous old coot at times.  So, I need to take my shots when I can.

Oh yeah, obtaining gifts from individuals just keeps on giving.  For I now consider Michael to be a very good friend, and I have met (so to speak) several others who appear to be just as personable.

So, would you consider at least giving a good look at what people like Michael have to offer?  I think a good place to start would be through my [Thinking of Christmas Gifts in July] annual series, but they should not be hard to find elsewhere.  If you find one that I should include next July, please let me know.

Please Also Visit:
and

6 comments:

  1. I like the idea of supporting small business or individual artists and do so quite often in our small town. Kudos to you for promoting this idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very worthy invitation you offer for your friend. You are totally right though, about not just buying at the big box stores. But to go into the smaller shops that often are just barely hanging on! It's what I do as much as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've already bought the Christmas presents for my little grand-niece and grand-nephew; I started early getting those together because I always like giving them a few gifts each.

    Other than that the only other gifts I'll be giving will be Christmas cakes (made by me)...to a couple of friends.

    Giving gifts is much more fun than receiving them...so I must be self-serving, too, Jerry! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by, my dear Julie!!! That is very good of you to do that. Hey, quite a few of the sites in the Christmas Gift series hail from Colorado.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping by, my dear Karen!!! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for stopping by, my dear Lee!!! Oh, but I really don't mind receiving gifts (hint, hint).

    ReplyDelete

Since the Blogger spam filter has been found sorely lacking lately, I will start moderating comments. Be assured that I am only interested in deleting spam. So, if you feel a need to take me to task over something—even anonymously, go ahead and let 'er rip, and I will publish it as soon as I can.