Monday, December 26, 2011

Come Monday...Adventures In Bookmarking


“Come Monday…” is a weekly series that will involve a review of, or commentary about,  websites, movies, documentaries, television shows, sports, music, and whatever else may tickle my fancy at the time.  Be assured that these reviews will be generally positive, as in accordance to the Jimmy Buffett song “Come Monday.”  This is subject to change, however.  In fact, I would be most derelict in my duties to neglect going on a rant every once in a while.  For rants promote change, and change can be good—right?  Therefore, since good is generally considered as being a positive force in 99.3% of the parallel universes that I am aware of, even a rant could be considered as being something positive, and a genuine hissy-fit would be even better (so I’m told).

When I first ventured forth into the great unknown of cyberspace, my vehicle of choice was Internet Explorer.  Well, it really wasn’t much of a choice.  For not only was cyberspace a complete mystery to me, how to get there was, as well.  That is, except for what came installed with Windows ME, which is what was installed on our first Dell in 2000.

While proceeding with great caution (utter terror, actually) each baby step along the way, I started to realize some of the wonders available, and one of them was the favorites option to Internet Explorer.  For instead of having to write down the URL’s to sites I wanted to see again, I could just add them to my favorites on the sidebar of the browser.  Later on, I “discovered” how to organize them into folders, and it was around then when I started compiling the list for the [Sites To See] series here.

Oh, but as they say, all good things must come to an end, and the beginning of this end came when I started having a lot of trouble opening some Entrecard sites through Internet Explorer 7 (I think).  So, I gathered up (so to speak) all of the courage that I could muster, and went about installing the Firefox browser.

I don’t remember which version of Firefox it was, but the difference between IE7 (I think) and Firefox was quite telling.  For all of the sites that wouldn’t load before, now came up with enough speed to startle me.

Soon after that, the Google toolbar for Firefox was brought to my attention, and I started bookmarking my Sites To See list instead of trying to add them to my IE favorites folders.  Oh yeah, life in cyberspace was becoming more and more comfortable.

No, we can’t be having too much of that—can we?  Therefore, after the 3,498th “new and improved” version of Firefox was introduced, the makers of the Google toolbar for Firefox probably just gave up.  In any event, the announcement for made that it would no longer work on Firefox, and my stress level returned to a familiar feel.

A few days later, I was shown a variation of the Google toolbar for Firefox, and even though things had to be done a little differently, it would work.  Back to feeling pretty good again.

Nope, it didn’t last.  For when I went to publish last weeks edition of Sites To See, I discovered that links would no longer open in a different window through the new Google toolbar, which meant having to go back and forth with the browser back button.

Oh, but wait—there’s more!  For not only was I having to go back and forth between sites, when going back to the bookmark list, it was like visiting the page at start of the session, which meant changing the view from the sites being listing according to when they were bookmarked to alphabetical.

Yeah, none of this may sound like any big deal to most, but if you have ever had a very painful wound, you know that even a puff of wind can make it hurt worse.  Such is my life in general.

Why haven’t I just went back to using the IE favorites?  Well, the problem with some sites not loading still exists, and I am relegated to having to stay with IE8 because IE9 and 10 will not work with Windows Vista.

What about Google Chrome?  There is no Google toolbar for it, and I am yet to be shown how to transfer all of my old bookmarks to what Chrome has to offer, short of one at a time.

Opera and Apple Safari for Windows?  Refer to the situation with Chrome.

Okay, what about going back to using an older version of Firefox?  Well, Blogger/Blogspot is all about being on the cutting edge.  So, it will not support a browser version older than the one previous to the newest version, which means that I cannot publish anything through IE8, neither.  Yeah, they (and I am talking about all of them here) really might be out to get me.

Please Also Visit:
and

8 comments:

  1. I agree "they" might be out to get you, but you need to know - you have a lot of good company on that list! I am sure we are included, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by again, my dear Fisher!!! Despite how much of a pain it is at times, those like you make it worthwhile. I hope you-all had a very Merry Christmas, and will have a very Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First, you can store all your bookmarks on the interwebz (http://xmarks.com) so you never lose them and they are available on any computer.

    I haven't updated to the latest Firefox but I am using the Google toolbar - I believe there was a problem with the last up-date and the Google toolbar - tho why you need it for bookmarks I have no idea - the Firefox toolbar has a "Bookmarks" function...and you can configure how your bookmarks are arranged when you "Show all bookmarks".

    It's hard to offer any help when you can't see what is on the other person's screen plus I run a MAC...

    ReplyDelete
  4. The making of many browsers knows no end. I use four! IE is rarely used, although I have several good things (music stations for instance) linked there. Firefox was good but so large it slowed the PC. I now use Chrome mostly, as it is quicker, but refer to Firefox for some things as it is better. The latest fear of facebook stealing things made me put that on Opera (a strange one this)and use it for FB alone.
    Confused, so am I, and if any get an upgrade I am confused further!
    Still, I canny live without the PC now....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping by again, my dear Grace!!! Thank you for telling me about xmarks. I'll check it out as soon as I can.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for stopping by again, my dear Adullamite!!! Yes, I most definitely feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  7. my problem with using favorites or bookmarks is that I tend to collect far too many and don't organize them at all. I end up with a huge list of sites that I have no idea why I ever saved them

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for stopping by again, my dear Ann!!! Yep, been there, too.

    ReplyDelete

Since the Blogger spam filter has been found sorely lacking lately, I will start moderating comments. Be assured that I am only interested in deleting spam. So, if you feel a need to take me to task over something—even anonymously, go ahead and let 'er rip, and I will publish it as soon as I can.